You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Canon R10 CRAW files question

Hello All

I would like to ask you a question regarding compatibility of Canon R10 CRAW files and Affinity Photo. I just purchased such camera and first few dozens of photos taken as CRAW (according to everybody I know there is no difference between compressed RAW and standard RAW) and they are just not OK (see attached). Is this something known? I opened same files in Canon's Digital Photo Professional (which I hate using) and they are OK there... Is there something I'm doing wrong?I use only Affinity Photo to develop my photos.

Just checked and standard RAW files are same looking ones...

Screenshot 2022-08-05 at 18.22.06.png

Hi,

the Canon R10 isn't listed to be yet supported by the APh Serif RAW engine (see here).  Also it looks like, that the R10 support in LibRaw (which APh uses as a base of it's Serif RAW engine) is actually only available in the LibRaw 0.21 (Beta1).

When LibRaw 0.21 is released and also a possibly newer/updated APh version, then that cam should be officially supported (actually it's not)!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thank you v_kyr!

I was not aware of this problems so thank you for taking time to answer me. Looks like I'm in a deep s... for the time till new update is released. And I got used to shooting only RAW... I wish there was the other way around that problem. I also use FasrRawViewer and it shows same, strange look of my RAW photos. 

Thank you again! 

1 hour ago, Witek said:

I also use FasrRawViewer and it shows same, strange look of my RAW photos.

Your cam (the Canon R10) has been released end of May (on 24. May 2022) and so is still pretty new on the market. Thus it takes some time until third party RAW converters will support that cam too, especially here then all those RAW converters, which do depend on LibRaw for RAW processing & conversion. - Beside Canon's own DPP, which of course comes together with the cam from the vendor right out of the box, even the bigger 3rd party players in the RAW converter/conversion tool field (like Adobe Lightroom, CaptureOne, DxO ...) will need some time to adapt their software to the new Canon R10 here!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

13 hours ago, v_kyr said:

even the bigger 3rd party players in the RAW converter/conversion tool field (like Adobe Lightroom, CaptureOne, DxO ...) will need some time to adapt their software to the new Canon R10 here!

Surely you are right. But I have to say that FastRawViewer already provided me with beta version of their app which supports R10 and R7 :) 

Thank again and have a nice day!

• 1 year later...
On 8/5/2022 at 8:54 PM, v_kyr said:

Your cam (the Canon R10) has been released end of May (on 24. May 2022) and so is still pretty new on the market.

Today, it is the end of november 2023, Affinity (Photo) still doesn't support the Canon CR3-C-RAW-files. I shoot with a Canon R8. All other apps (Apple Photos, Pixelmator, RAW Power, etc)  support it, even the finder from MacOS gives a better preview than AP. See screenshot of a snow-picture opens in APs Develop.

c-raw.jpg

• Staff

Hi @CAPTN HIRNI,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
In Develop Persona go to the Develop Assistant setting (main toolbar) change the Raw engine to Apple Core Raw and reload the RAW image again. If the format is supported by Apple Photos it should also work in Affinity.

If that doesn't work you can also try converting the RAW's using the Adobe DNG Converter to convert them to DNG and open them using the Serif Labs engine (or Apple Core Image AW).

13 hours ago, MEB said:

In Develop Persona go to the Develop Assistant setting (main toolbar) change the Raw engine to Apple Core Raw and reload the RAW image again. If the format is supported by Apple Photos it should also work in Affinity.

Thank you for your answer. It works in this way.