You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Notes in Publisher

Hi,

A very important tool while developing and revising a document is a note system. With paper documents, we used stickies, that were one of the greatest invention in the history.

Something I do in InDesign, to make notes visible to myself and my collaborators working on PDF files, is to use a free-floating text frame that I attach to the relevant body text. This system is very flexible, and much less obtuse compared to the InDesign's native note system.

It wouldn't be bad if Publisher included something like this, but that could be managed from a dedicated pane, for example for hiding all the notes en masse, or change their appearance.

Paolo

This wouldn't allow for exporting notes to a PDF file. If I hadn't to share notes with others, I would simply use InDesign notes. Having to share them, I place at least some of the notes on the page.

This means that I have then to dispiace/delete them one by one when they have to be hidden.

Also, this method means that notes are exported when sending IDML files to the translators, and cleaning them means have to remove them one by one in a duplicated source document.

Paolo

3 hours ago, N.P.M. said:

You could use Layers(with capital L)

These can be hidden in most pdf editors but not in most pdf viewers(if at all)

N.P.M., thank you for your hints, but I moved my post here in the Feedback section because I was not looking for suggestions. I would suggest continuing posting the hints on the other thread, to keep workarounds and proposal for new features separate.

Paolo

I don't understand why people do this.  Presumably NPM's comments/hints were useful, but now he/she has gone and edited away all the text, replacing it with "N.P.M."  I have seen other people do similar things when they find they cannot delete their postings altogether, but I do not understand the motivation one bit.

7 hours ago, sfriedberg said:

I don't understand why people do this.  Presumably NPM's comments/hints were useful, but now he/she has gone and edited away all the text, replacing it with "N.P.M."  I have seen other people do similar things when they find they cannot delete their postings altogether, but I do not understand the motivation one bit.

N.P.M. = Non Participating Member

To my way of thinking, non-participation should mean simply stepping aside.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)