You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

An easy way is to select the teeth with the selection brush tool. Be careful to not select the gums.

Then add a white balance adjustments layer and slide it ever so gently towards the blue side.

If there's some parts that needs to be altered you can paint on the mask with white to hide the yellow or with black to reveal more of the whitened teeth.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

a quick & dirty try could be just painting over the teeth with the dodge brush, after setting its size appropriately and the hardness to a very low value.

another way is to paint over the teeth with the color replacement brush, but this will probably require some experiments to find the right foreground color to select befor painting.

take care,

stefano

now i experimented a bit with the color replacement brush and there's something i would like to understand better. it looks like the replacement happens with midtones, but not with lights and shadows. i attached to this post a small crop of a shot. the image quality is very poor (taken at high iso in low light conditions and the subject was moving) but what matters here is that the color replacement worked nicely on teeth, brush and skin, but not on the white jacket or the darkest details.

ap help says that the replacement brush replaces the hue, but not the lightness. i'd expect very light or very dark colors, but no replacement at all (apparently) misplaces me.

any suggestions / explanations?

thank you

s

post-22319-0-55362600-1451502153_thumb.jpg

take care,

stefano

rui, that's a very useful tutorial, clear and concise, and in the process you also show a number of details about interesting ap features. thank you for sharing.

now, i have a couple of questions, maybe you'll point me to the right direction.

i noticed that in the tutorial you change the size and the hardness of the brush several times, and the images show the outside border of the brush shap along with the inner border of the hard area; plus, near the shape a ticker with size info in displayed. How can i obtain that? when i change the brush' size i have no ticker and no inner hardess... i've looked through ap properties but missed the right spot...

the second question is about showing the teeth adj layer. at about 7.14" you show the adjustment layer as an editable mask. now, i know that rightclicking on a mask opens a context menu where the "edit mask" item shows the mask and allows it to be visually edited, but this apparently doesn't work on the edit layer i created reproducing your editing steps on a shot of mine. if i rightclick on the edit layer i have no "show" or "edit" options, and i don't know any shortcut (maybe you used a shortcut?).

thank in advance

stefano

take care,

stefano

Simply awesome, rui_mac! Thank you so much for this tutorial, makes things crystal clear.

I do have a question as well, though. I am curious as to how you set up the categories at the top shown in this screen capture here:

post-13400-0-67366700-1451571380_thumb.png

I tried finding this customisation in the View -> Customise Toolbar... or View -> Customise Tools... but didn't see it there.

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

iMac 27" 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7 32 GB RAM

Select View > Studio > Info to bring up the Information panel, and click the semi-filled circle to select the desired colour information type. Please be aware, that you can also add more samplers (pickers) through the “burger” or three-stripe menu on the Information panel …  :)

post-1198-0-46904800-1451572592_thumb.png