You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bulk modification

The Bulk treatment of CR2 make the software close without any modification. even just a format change (CR2 to TIFF or JPG).

this is not working either when bulk modifying with a built in or a custom macro script (color, exposition, etc...).

Version 1.10.5 (build 1342)

Edited by Antonio G.
version

If by "bulk" you mean "batch" you can try switching off "Parallel Processing" in the New Batch Job screen

In addition, in Edit > Preferences > Performance try switching off (untick) Hardware Acceleration (if enabled)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Approximately how many CR2 files are you batch processing?

Does it work in small batches or when trying a single CR2 file?

In Edit > Preferences > Performance how much RAM is allocated to APhoto?

Also check your C drive is not running out of space during the batch process

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Hi @Antonio G.,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Can you please open the Affinity app, then navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

Many thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hi,

To do the screenshot I went to Affinity photo and discover that is still running since this morning (5 hours) this time with the ram increase he didn't force exit me. here the screenshot.

running to see that there is still no photo treated.

and the second one with the parameters, I'm not eager to increase more, I don't want to swap on my HDD to much when using the tools. and there is no improvement.

parameters.png

Running.png

• Staff

Thanks for providing that for me! I can see Affinity has access to 2 different GPUs on your system, which may be causing crashing if Windows is 'switching' the GPU in use.

Can you please follow the below FAQ to force Affinity to use the RTX 3060 GPU -

Just to confirm with Batch Processing, what difference does having 'Parallel Processing' disabled? Does this stop the crashing behaviour but cause the batch process to take longer? As this is expected behaviour when the option is unticked.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Thanks I will try the Walktrough this weekend.

to add to this bug as I said there is no crashlog but there is more weird behaviour.

I've lost all my parameters, windows, studio, tools, preference options etc etc like it was a Factory restore O.o 

• Staff

I'm sorry to hear this, usually this occurs when a third party application is affecting the Affinity files. Can you please confirm for me, do you have any 'cleaning' applications, such as CCleaner installed on your system? Are you using any installed anti-virus apps?

Please also check the following list of known software which causes issues with Affinity -

Did the above suggestion for forcing Windows to use your Nvidia GPU change any of the reported behaviour?

I'd like to ensure your drivers are fully up to date, for both the Nvidia & Intel GPU.

Can you please download and install the latest drivers for your system, as you have tried the 'Studio' drivers from Nvidia, I recommend trying the 'Game Ready' drivers instead:

- Intel: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html
- Nvidia: https://www.geforce.com/drivers

Once installed, please restart your system and then try editing in Affinity once again.

Please do let me know how you get on here :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I got exactely the same issue but with RAW files (*.DNG Pentax format) without previous treatment. I just try to batch images I just want to keep now in compressed format like JPG or PNG. The single difference is if I'm allowing parallel treatment, Affinity crashes on the last picture and the the window closed immediately after the last image treated. If I untick parallel treatment, then the Affinity window stays open after the achievement of the last image but the list of images disappeares and nothing happens in the target repository. 

• Staff

Hi @Geraud78,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Can you please open the Affinity app, then navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

What camera model do your .DNG files originate from please?

Many thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, Geraud78 said:

... the Affinity window stays open after the achievement of the last image but the list of images disappeares and nothing happens in the target repository. 

This sounds like my problem with Affinity Files (.afphoto) not being saved into their same folder after a simple Resize. I needed to choose a different directory/folder to save them. If the files were not Affinity Files (.afphoto), for example PNGs, then it works.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi Old Bruce and all,

it sounds weird, indeed. On my side, the bug occurs whaterver the type of file out, and whatever the location selected. I got the bug only when I want to perform a batch job to archive RAW files I want to keep for memories in a lighter type. I didn't try to use yet the Resize function just as it, but I guess the issue we are reporting is related to the save mechanisms of the Affinity Photo.

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me Geraud, when running the Batch Processing function are you applying any macros, or simply converting from RAW to JPEG / PNG?

I note in your first post you describe the behaviour both with and without Parallel Processing - am I correct in my understanding that without this option ticked, the Batch Process list is filled and completed within Affinity, (once this list has completed, it's expected behaviour for the dialog to close automatically) however no files at all are created in your export folder?

20 hours ago, Geraud78 said:

I just have a Nvidia GTX 1070 6 GB as graphic card

Please ensure your GPU drivers are fully up to date, directly from Nvidia as I am personally running the same GPU here and I'm not seeing the same issue as you're reporting currently :)

Hi Dan,

correct, but when I'm running with parallel mode ticked, Affinity closed after completion and no files are generated. If the parallel mode is unticked, then Affinity remains open, dialog closes well, and no file is generated. I tried to create files in the same or in a alternate folder with the same result.

In the batch I'm using only the file conversion part, discarding any macro. I tried with and without the add of ICC profile for the same result.

Regarding NVIDIA, my driver are well up to date according Nvidia Geforce Experience tool, in Studio version. I'm downloading the Gaming version to try again.

• Staff

Thank you for that information!

19 hours ago, Geraud78 said:

I tried to create files in the same or in a alternate folder with the same result.

Out of interest, were the other locations you tried also on this D:/ drive? What happens if you try exporting to your C:/ or 'boot' drive?

Are you able to attach a few sample RAW files here, so I can try testing this directly with your files please? :)

Hi Dan,

let me check for the drive if there is an impact as currently I working from a data drive and another one which is synchronized with OneDrive.

Attached a sample of images. Don't juge them they are homework and test :D

Thx for your patience

IMGP4103.DNG IMGP4104.DNG IMGP4105.DNG IMGP4106.DNG IMGP4107.DNG IMGP4108.DNG IMGP4109.DNG IMGP4110.DNG IMGP4111.DNG

• Staff
19 hours ago, Geraud78 said:

let me check for the drive if there is an impact as currently I working from a data drive and another one which is synchronized with OneDrive.

That's certainly interesting information, as we've seen issues on macOS/iPadOS with OneDrive synced folders, however I've not seen this affect Windows previously.

Thank you for providing these images for me! I've tested Batch Processing these to both JPEG and PNG, with Parallel Processing enabled and disabled, on both my C:/ drive and a secondary F:/ drive, and in all cases the images were correctly generated for me, with no crashes experienced.

image.png

If you are able to move these images to a drive that is not synced by OneDrive and try again, does this stop the crashing behaviour? :)

Hi Dan,

thank you for testing. I guess I’m make a last try with the HDD location and if it fails I will remove Affinity Photo, clean my registry, reboot and make a clean reinstall.

i have tools like cleaner installed, is there some know issue with such a tool installed with Affinity Photo or tip i must know to mitigate any risk in use?

• Staff

That certainly sounds like a good idea, please do let me know how you get on here!

1 hour ago, Geraud78 said:

i have tools like cleaner installed, is there some know issue with such a tool installed with Affinity Photo or tip i must know to mitigate any risk in use?

Having apps like CCleaner installed shouldn't affect any functionality of Affinity apps, such as Batch Processing, however we have previously seen these apps removing Affinity files which store custom brushes, assets, user presets etc so I would recommend adding the following location to not automatically be cleaned.

%AppData%\Affinity\

I hope this clears things up :)