You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tool framing circle

In Photo on the Desktop there is always the mouse-position and that's why we have an always-on circle on the screen.

But on the iPad, I don't even have this tool circle when I actively use and move a tool.

I didn't find a setting to change that and I find it strange. I can't see at all how big my tool is and where it works.

Should this still come or where do I activate the surrounding border?

4 hours ago, BenDE said:

In Photo on the Desktop there is always the mouse-position and that's why we have an always-on circle on the screen.

But on the iPad, I don't even have this tool circle when I actively use and move a tool.

I didn't find a setting to change that and I find it strange.

It isn’t really so strange! On a desktop or laptop computer you can determine the cursor position by detecting mouse movement, but on a tablet there’s no way to know the position of a stylus or finger until it touches the screen.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

It isn’t really so strange! On a desktop or laptop computer you can determine the cursor position by detecting mouse movement, but on a tablet there’s no way to know the position of a stylus or finger until it touches the screen.

But you know while painting ........

19 minutes ago, LeeThorpe said:

Hi BenDE, 

Unfortunately not at the moment but any change of zoom level will show the preview size for a moment, or of course making a brush size adjustment.

Lee

I hope it comes permanently soon, while I paint I would like to recognize the "sphere of activity"? without having to try and remove so often 

4 minutes ago, BenDE said:

But you know while painting ........

Can you paint without touching the screen? :/

Alfred spacer.png

It might be possible (feature request) to use a modifier gesture or flag similar to „protect alpha“ to show only the brush size, without actually applying the brush. Using the zooming as suggested by Lee as workaround is possible, but sometimes you want to strictly avoid changing zoom unnecessarily 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

10 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Can you paint without touching the screen? :/

@Alfred I am not talking about the position, I'm talking about the sphere of activity of the tool (do not know if this is a good translation for it's sizing affects).

I often paint beyond something because I can't see with flow and transparency what the real scope of the tool is.

Do you have and work with an iPad with this software?

What? I paid for these programs but I can't even post something 5 times a day? What's that all about?

A609EEF5-966F-40B8-8B95-E93BB84C9EBE.jpeg

Edited by BenDE

2 minutes ago, BenDE said:

I am not talking about the position, I'm talking about the sphere of activity of the tool (do not know if this is a good translation

Thanks for the clarification. Your translation is perfectly understandable!

The suggestion from @NotMyFault sounds like a good way for the developers to address the problem:

7 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

It might be possible (feature request) to use a modifier gesture or flag similar to „protect alpha“ to show only the brush size, without actually applying the brush.

Alfred spacer.png