You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tools shortcuts in Affinity Photo on Windows 10 require holding Enter instead of Shift?

14 hours ago, stepfull said:

What I would like is answers about my original question about keyboard shortcuts ceasing to work, and whether what I'm seeing in that regard is expected behavior in the application, or some sort of bug. 

The keyboard shortcuts should not quit working, but since most users do not report that happening, it it probably not a bug in the app itself. It could be something like a corrupted support file but it is hard to say what it might be.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

14 hours ago, stepfull said:

What I would like is answers about my original question about keyboard shortcuts ceasing to work, 

Here is the second post,  the first one after yours and your reply to that.

On 8/2/2022 at 12:11 PM, v_kyr said:

Usually the default keyboard shortcut keys should be like those shown here ...

Just press the indicated key letter without SHIFT !

On 8/2/2022 at 12:26 PM, stepfull said:

Thanks! You've been very helpful!

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I could be wrong but I think the OP is saying that sometimes even when using the correct keyboard shortcuts for the tools (like without the extraneous modifier keys), these shortcut(s) are not working.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

I could be wrong but I think the OP is saying that sometimes even when using the correct keyboard shortcuts for the tools (like without the extraneous modifier keys), these shortcut(s) are not working.

Yes, this ^. It happened in a specific scenario. 

4 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I guess you missed my post that detailed the specific scenario where the shortcut keys stop working entirely. Since I'm apparently the only one experiencing it, I guess I'm just stuck with what I've got. 

• Staff

Hi @stepfull,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

On 8/2/2022 at 8:25 PM, stepfull said:

I randomly seem to lose ALL of the shortcut keys at times, and sometimes my ability to right-click

On 8/2/2022 at 8:52 PM, stepfull said:

Here's how I'm doing that:

• Click on desired layer
  • Ctrl+C to copy it
  • Ctrl+N to start a new file. It defaults to the same preset I've been using (just a blank of a specific size, 6 x 6 inches), so I just hit ENTER to confirm and the new file opens. (I'm not using "New form clipboard" because even though the object is roughly 5 x 5 inches, I instead end up with a file that's 16 x 16 inches. No idea why.)
  • Ctrl+V to paste the copied layer into the file
  • V to select the layer with the Move tool
  • Alt+A for the Arrange menu, choose "Align Center"
  • Alt+A for the Arrange menu, choose "Align Middle"

If I want to use any other Tools at this point, I can't get to them via a shortcut. The Tools shortcuts are dead at this point. 

I can confirm that I'm not able to replicate this behaviour in Affinity - after using Alt + A for the Arrange Menu, and then Arrow Keys to select a menu item, my other shortcuts continue to work as expected, as I'm able to change tool, save/export the file etc.

I suspect that this may be caused by a third party app on your PC, as we're not seeing reports from other users that shortcuts or the ability to right-click will randomly stop working, so I believe something may be interfering with the Affinity app input.

Do you have any drawing tablet, custom keyboard shortcut, AHK or similar application that may be interfering with the Affinity app shortcuts?

When activating the Arrange menu, are you using the left-hand Alt key, or Alt-Gr on the right?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2022 at 5:13 AM, Dan C said:

Hi @stepfull,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

I can confirm that I'm not able to replicate this behaviour in Affinity - after using Alt + A for the Arrange Menu, and then Arrow Keys to select a menu item, my other shortcuts continue to work as expected, as I'm able to change tool, save/export the file etc.

I suspect that this may be caused by a third party app on your PC, as we're not seeing reports from other users that shortcuts or the ability to right-click will randomly stop working, so I believe something may be interfering with the Affinity app input.

Do you have any drawing tablet, custom keyboard shortcut, AHK or similar application that may be interfering with the Affinity app shortcuts?

When activating the Arrange menu, are you using the left-hand Alt key, or Alt-Gr on the right?

Many thanks in advance :)

I have a drawing tablet, but it was not connected when I experienced the shortcuts ceasing to function. No custom keyboard shortcuts. I don't know what "AHK" is. I'm activating the menu using the right Alt key (have never heard it referred to as "Alt-Gr"; it just says "Alt"). 

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me!

12 hours ago, stepfull said:

I'm activating the menu using the right Alt key (have never heard it referred to as "Alt-Gr"; it just says "Alt")

This is known as the ALT-GR key on UK QWERTY keyboards, but as I understand it, it is simply labelled 'Alt' on US QWERTY layouts.

We've previously had reported (and subsequently marked as fixed) an issue whereby using the ALT-GR (ie right hand ALT key) can cause shortcuts to stop working in Affinity -  but as mentioned our team believed this issue to be fixed.

Can you please navigate to Help > About and let me know which version number is shown here?

Out of interest, if you use the left hand ALT key, do you find this issue still occurs? :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)