You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo / Designer / Publisher won't load. They open, but then stop responding.

Dear support,

today I tried running my three Affinity products (Photo, Designer, Publisher) but had to realize that none of them are properly loading.

When I open the software, the software's logo/intro image will appear and then a the dark blank UI. However, I cannot click on anything and apparently at 

the same time, the software stops responding. The logo/intro image is still showing by the way. I don't konw what happened but I can't figure it out. I reinstalled the

software multiple times (also on different drives) and run it in compatibility mode (win8). However, none of that worked and I can't make it run properly.

I'm a windows user (currently win10).

Thanks for your help/support.

Lukas

• Staff

Hi @DailyChess,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! Have you recently had the Affinity apps installed and running correctly? If so, do you recall making any changes to your system recently that may have caused this conflict? (for example, installing a new app, a Windows update or new drivers?)

Are you able to provide a screenshot or short screen recording showing the results when trying to open the Affinity app currently?

Many thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hi @Dan C

Thanks for your reply. Well, it's been a few months since i last ran the apps on this device (probably about 4-5?).

Back then it opened without any issues.

I had a few changes made to the system in the last months:

hardware: new SSD (but it is not the one where I installed AP)

windows: there have been a couple of Winupdates along the way

drivers: not to my knowledge

apps: a few games, disney+

I think I managed to record both screens showing the issue. The same had basically happened with Affinity Designer, but I reinstalled the software and did not yet activate it again. But it had the same issue as both Affinity Photo and Affinity Publisher. It takes a bit for the other affinity apps to load. In the video, you'll see the same issue with Affinity Publisher (but towards the end of the video).

Unfortunately, the video has a low resolution. The loading screen in Affinity Photo says  "loading fonts" and then it stops after the blank window opens.

Edited by DailyChess

• Staff

Many thanks for providing that for me, that's certainly helpful :)

I'd like to try a few things, starting with disabling Hardware Acceleration in Affinity, and updating your GPU drivers.

You can disable Hardware Acceleration without opening the app using the below 'disabler' tool - 

In regards to drivers, I'm not certain which GPU your PC has, so I have included links below for the 3 main manufacturers- 

- Intel: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download-center/home.html
- Nvidia: https://www.geforce.com/drivers
- AMD: https://www.amd.com/support

Once the driver has been updated and OpenCL disabled, please restart your system and then try opening Affinity. Does this now load for you please? :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

22 hours ago, Dan C said:

Many thanks for providing that for me, that's certainly helpful :)

I'd like to try a few things, starting with disabling Hardware Acceleration in Affinity, and updating your GPU drivers.

You can disable Hardware Acceleration without opening the app using the below 'disabler' tool - 

In regards to drivers, I'm not certain which GPU your PC has, so I have included links below for the 3 main manufacturers- 

- Intel: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download-center/home.html
- Nvidia: https://www.geforce.com/drivers
- AMD: https://www.amd.com/support

Once the driver has been updated and OpenCL disabled, please restart your system and then try opening Affinity. Does this now load for you please? :)

I've tried updating my Nvida graphic settings but they were all already up to date. 

I also ran Affinity OpenCL Disabler but nothing changed. Still the same issue after restarting the system. :/ 

• Staff

Thank you for confirming that for me and I'm sorry to hear this hasn't helped!

I'd like to request a few different log/crash files from yourself to try and determine the exact cause of this.

Firstly, please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0

In the window that opens, please select log.txt, then attach this to your reply here.

Secondly, in the same folder as above, please open CrashReports and then reports - if any reports have been generated, they will be found here. Please attach the latest 3 reports from this folder.

Finally, I'd like to request a copy of your event viewer log, to generate this please do the following.

1. Open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) and type the following - eventvwr
2. In the window that opens, select the Windows Logs drop-down list on the left and then Applications
3. With the Applications logs selected, navigate to the right side of the window and select Save All Events As... and save them as .evtx (the default option).
4. Attach this saved file to your reply here.  

Can you also please confirm that none of the following apps are installed on your PC?

Your reply should hopefully include the log.txt, the 3 most recent .DMP crash reports, and the .evtx event viewer log.

Many thanks in advance!

20 hours ago, Dan C said:

Thank you for confirming that for me and I'm sorry to hear this hasn't helped!

I'd like to request a few different log/crash files from yourself to try and determine the exact cause of this.

Firstly, please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0

In the window that opens, please select log.txt, then attach this to your reply here.

Secondly, in the same folder as above, please open CrashReports and then reports - if any reports have been generated, they will be found here. Please attach the latest 3 reports from this folder.

Finally, I'd like to request a copy of your event viewer log, to generate this please do the following.

1. Open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) and type the following - eventvwr
2. In the window that opens, select the Windows Logs drop-down list on the left and then Applications
3. With the Applications logs selected, navigate to the right side of the window and select Save All Events As... and save them as .evtx (the default option).
4. Attach this saved file to your reply here.  

Can you also please confirm that none of the following apps are installed on your PC?

Your reply should hopefully include the log.txt, the 3 most recent .DMP crash reports, and the .evtx event viewer log.

Many thanks in advance!

Hi Dan,

thank you for your continious support! :) 

I checked if any of the programs are installed and none of them are.

Here are the files that you asked for.

Log.txt 1ef6ff6d-549d-4003-bc89-1db324a65ab2.dmp 05a99348-5ce9-421a-a53d-ce3c14ae68ed.dmp fa6b77f8-1f6b-414b-a04b-1aae62cabfe4.dmp Event Viewer.evtx Event Viewer_2057.MTA

• Staff

No problem at all, thank you for providing these for me!

I can see from your crash reports that the Affinity app itself is not crashing, instead it is an external framework crashing (part of Windows) - 

image.png

From your Event Viewer, I can see that multiple apps (OverWolf, TotalAV & Affinity) are crashing due to .NET runtime errors, which is one of the aforementioned frameworks - 

image.png

Therefore I'd like to try running the Windows .NET repair tool, which you can download here - 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=30135

Once run, please then perform an SFC scan, as outlined here - 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e

Finally, restart your PC and try launching Affinity once again. Do the apps now load please? :)