You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Installation on Windows 11 crashes

I'm just moving to a new PC running Windows 11 pro Version 21H2 (22000.832)
Installation of affinity-photo-1.10.5.exe worked well
Running then Photo.exe fails: short splash logo, window opens for a moment and closes immediately
Eventlog shows .NET Runtime error eventID 1026

Anwendung: Photo.exe
Frameworkversion: v4.0.30319
Beschreibung: Der Prozess wurde aufgrund einer unbehandelten Ausnahme beendet.
Ausnahmeinformationen: System.AccessViolationException
   bei <Module>.Raster.Buffer<Raster::Red8,Raster::Green8,Raster::Blue8,Raster::Alpha8,Raster::X5>.Clear(Raster.Buffer<Raster::Red8,Raster::Green8,Raster::Blue8,Raster::Alpha8,Raster::X5>*, Boolean, Boolean*)
   bei Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontCellControlHelper.CreatePreviewBitmap(System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker)
   bei Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontCellControlHelper.EnumFontsW(System.Object, System.ComponentModel.DoWorkEventArgs)
   bei System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(System.ComponentModel.DoWorkEventArgs)
   bei System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(System.Object)

Ausnahmeinformationen: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
   bei System.ComponentModel.AsyncCompletedEventArgs.RaiseExceptionIfNecessary()
   bei Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontCellControlHelper.OnRunWorkerCompleted(System.Object, System.ComponentModel.RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs)
   bei System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnRunWorkerCompleted(System.ComponentModel.RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs)
   bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   bei System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
   bei System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

With Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher there is a similar but slightly different behavior: Programm could be started but after entering email and key and accepting licence agreement the window closes and eventlog has same error message.

• Staff

Hi @Snoopy17,

Can you just try running the .NET Repair Tool which can be download from here.  Also make sure you have all the latest updates for Windows 11 installed.  Finally, if you could check to see if you have any crash reports for all 3 apps and attach them here.  See this post to find the crash reports.

Edited by stokerg
Inserted incorrect link

Hi @stokerg,
thanks for your fast reply.

Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool has been run with the following action:

Reregister Windows Installer service
Unregisters and re-registers the Windows Installer service using MsiExec.exe. Applicable regardless of the diagnosis results.

Restart Windows Installer service
Stops and restarts the Windows Installer service. Applicable regardless of the diagnosis results.

Windows Updates are complete, the last update has been
2022-07 Vorschau auf kumulatives Update für .NET Framework 3.5 und 4.8 für Windows 11 für x64 (KB5015732)

Which "crash reports" do you mean? The link provided is the same as for .NET Repair Tool

• Staff

Hi @Snoopy17,

Thanks for the crash report, which sadly doesn't give us much information, likely due to the crash happening before Affinity has finished loading.  This could be a font issue from looking at the information from Eventlog, so if you can try the following:

Open the Run box, by holding down the Windows Key + R on your keyboard and in here type CMD and click okay.  Presuming you have the app installed in the default location, type in cd "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo\" and press Enter. Now type:
Photo --disable-font-preview-cache

Now press Enter, does Affinity Photo now load?

Hi @stokerg,

thanks for this advice, which gave the following results:

1. Update Intel Xe and A370M Graphics to 30.0.101.1743 (28.06.2022)
was not offered/recommended by Windows Update or Asus support.
Download from Intel website and installation wenn well
Crash of Affinity Photo still happening in the same way
So this was not the reason

2. Affinity Disable Ocl - Windows v1.2

First run
-- SEARCHING FOR PERFORMANCE SETTINGS XML FILES --
No file found: C:\Users\Otto\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Trial)\Settings\PerformancePreferences.xml
No file found: C:\Users\Otto\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Settings\PerformancePreferences.xml
No file found: C:\Users\Otto\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Store)\Settings\PerformancePreferences.xml
No file found: C:\Users\Otto\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Trial)\Settings\PerformancePreferences.xml
No file found: C:\Users\Otto\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Designer\1.0\Settings\PerformancePreferences.xml
No file found: C:\Users\Otto\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Store)\Settings\PerformancePreferences.xml
No file found: C:\Users\Otto\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\1.0 (Trial)\Settings\PerformancePreferences.xml
No file found: C:\Users\Otto\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\1.0\Settings\PerformancePreferences.xml
No file found: C:\Users\Otto\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\1.0 (Store)\Settings\PerformancePreferences.xml
Done!

image.png.880c65e910994c40f077c31cc976b83c.png

Second run with "Create any missing performance XML files" checked
-- DISABLING PERFORMANCE SETTINGS IN XML FILES --

Editing XML file: C:\Users\Otto\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Settings\PerformancePreferences.xml
Creating a backup copy: C:\Users\Otto\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Settings\PerformancePreferences.xml.bak
Changed <UseHardwareAcceleration> value to: False

Editing XML file: C:\Users\Otto\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Designer\1.0\Settings\PerformancePreferences.xml
Creating a backup copy: C:\Users\Otto\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Designer\1.0\Settings\PerformancePreferences.xml.bak

Editing XML file: C:\Users\Otto\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\1.0\Settings\PerformancePreferences.xml
Creating a backup copy: C:\Users\Otto\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\1.0\Settings\PerformancePreferences.xml.bak

Done!

image.png.602c302c1b515e17484d2dcc65800870.png

After disabling OpenCL Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher could be startet without crash.

So OpenCL seems to be the reason for the crashes.

Only remaining question is, whether ther are side effects or disadvantages (functionality, performance) permanently going without OpenCL. Or will Affinity work on a fix for future versions?

Thank you again for your help.

10 hours ago, Snoopy17 said:

Only remaining question is, whether ther are side effects or disadvantages (functionality, performance) permanently going without OpenCL. Or will Affinity work on a fix for future versions?

Good question @Snoopy17.

OpenCL was introduced about 18 months ago. It (probably) works for most people, but not all. Like you, I'm one of the unlucky ones.

There is some wild speculation that a new version (v2) might be coming. But will it fix the OpenCL issue? Affinity is not saying. Fingers crossed...

41 minutes ago, PeteMacca said:

But will it fix the OpenCL issue?

We have seen evidence here in the forums that at least some of the OpenCL issues are due to problems with the graphics drivers, not problems in the Affinity code. For example, for some users the problems disappear when they update to a newer driver level (while for others, the problems disappear when they revert to an older driver level).

There may be some that are Affinity problems, of course.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...

I have been running Affinity suite on a Lenovo X13 series 1 for several months, and this problem commenced about a week ago. I have ensured that drivers are up to date, reinstalled Publisher de novo, and run a repair on Windows. I also ran the .NET repair tool and updated .NET, and turned off Open CL as well. Nothing helped.

Alongside the problem with the apps turning off suddenly after about 1-2 minutes, if I try opening two documents, I can't switch between them.

I think that, for me it's a problem with some aspect of a Windows update but, as I hadn't run Affinity apps for a couple of weeks, I can't pinpoint exactly where the issue arose.

My Event Logs are the same as Otto's - .NET Runtime error eventID 1026

there was a .net update last week, so possible this can be the trick.
I working with the win 11 insider beta version, have no problems in combination with 1.10.5 photo or other .

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.