You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inline graphic line height

I have opened an .idml file which has a number of inline graphics, each of them being the only character in that paragraph. The paragraph has a font size of 10pt but the line height (despite what it says in the paragraph dialog box which still says 10pt) seems in each instance to have adjusted itself so that the inline graphic does not overlap previous text material.

When I try to reproduce this, (1) placing an image somewhere on the page so I can work on it, (2) setting its dimension to what I want, (3) cutting it to the clipboard, (4) placing my text cursor to the left of the paragraph symbol, (5) pasting the graphic into the paragraph; the graphic overlaps all the preceding text.

How can I get the line height to accommodate the incoming graphic?

Main machine is 2019 27" iMac running Mojave 10.14.6 (until I can get off Adobe CS) with 8GB of RAM. Also have 2022 12" Macbook Air running Ventura 13.6.4, also with 8GB of RAM. Because of the limitations of Mojave, am still using Affinity v1 on my main machine.

• Staff

Hi @Furry,

2 hours ago, Furry said:

When I try to reproduce this, (1) placing an image somewhere on the page so I can work on it, (2) setting its dimension to what I want, (3) cutting it to the clipboard, (4) placing my text cursor to the left of the paragraph symbol, (5) pasting the graphic into the paragraph; the graphic overlaps all the preceding text.

I'm not currently seeing this behaviour, when pasting the image it is pasted at the same size I copied it, but inline with text & does not cover any characters.

image.png

Are you able to provide a screen recording showing your document, and the steps you're taking?

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

If I understand your situation and goal correct, you would select a pinned object with the text cursor + adjust its leading.
Also the Pinning Panel offers various options for object size and distance.

820448025_pinningoptions.thumb.jpg.a095d49e222a7dcde903ae32d6284179.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Inline objects automatically increase size of leading in situations you have the paragraph leading specified in a percentage value (in which case the value of the paragraph leading is shown in brackets [] on macOS and parentheses () on Windows). The leading will not be auto-adjusted, if you specify the leading using a fixed value (in which case the value of the paragraph leading is shown without brackets/parentheses).

Disregarding whether the paragraph leading is specified in percentage or fixed value, it can be overridden by using character-based leading, which helps fit in an inline object within a text block without increasing local leading too much. Automatic (percentual) leading often produces too much space between the lines (especially if the vertical position of the inline object is subsequently adjusted, which is often done when inserting e.g. equations), while fixed paragraph leading is often too tight.

Thank you, Dan C, thomaso and lacerto for your various suggestions. My apologies that I have not responded but I do have a life other than using Affinity apps and other things demand my time and attention from time to time.

I am using a desktop Mac (27-inch 2019 iMac with retinar), not an iPad and so the suggestion re how to produce a screen recording was not helpful. I spent far too long trying to persuade Snapz Pro to make a screen recording but it no longer functions well on my OS (Ambrosia has been out of business since 2016). So I am afraid this is second best.

I created a sample .afpub document from my original which is many pages long. The sample has just one page and the contents of the text frame (there is only one, on the left hand side) were copied and pasted from the original doc. I then replaced the text with Loren Ipsum so that I could concentrate just on the graphics. I will attach my Sample .afpub doc to this message so that whoever wishes can play with it.

I took three screen shots to show you the actions I have taken. They also are attached.

Screenshot Step1.jpg shows the document with the text frame to the left and the graphic I wish to insert on the right. I have already sized the graphic to the size I want (110mm wide.)

I selected the graphic and cut it to the clipboard. I then placed my frame text tool so that the cursor was in the second last paragraph (which has the style Music insert) and pasted.

Screenshot Step2.jpg shows the result with the graphic overlapping the text above it – not a good look.

I then selected the graphic using the black arrow move tool and, using the Text Wrap Setting button on the top toolbar, clicked the Jump button. This allows me to position the graphic between the third last and second last paragraphs.

Screenshot Step 3.jpg shows you the result. The problem with using this method is that the text wrap excludes the paragraph mark after the graphic, creating too much space below the graphic. It should not be below the graph but to its right, as with the graphic further up the page.

That should be enough to give you a good idea of my dilemma, even though I couldn't produce a screen recording.

I look forward to further replies.

Screenshot Step 1.jpg

Screenshot Step 2.jpg

Screenshot Step 3.jpg

Sample for Forum.afpub

Main machine is 2019 27" iMac running Mojave 10.14.6 (until I can get off Adobe CS) with 8GB of RAM. Also have 2022 12" Macbook Air running Ventura 13.6.4, also with 8GB of RAM. Because of the limitations of Mojave, am still using Affinity v1 on my main machine.

• Staff

No problem at all, I absolutely understand and many thanks for the screenshots and document provided, this is certainly helpful!

I can see a couple of things in your document. Firstly a few of your return characters are using a different font, and are at a different size that the rest of your document (6pt compared to 14pt) - you may have purposefully decided to use these smaller characters, simply I wanted to ensure you were aware of them.

Secondly, when copy and pasting the graphic into your text frame, this is pasted as a 'Floating' object, and not Inline, like the image that is already in this text frame.
After pasting the graphic into the text frame, make sure this is selected and then use the 'Inline in text' option on the top toolbar. You should now find this image wraps similar to the image above. Please see the below screen recording showing this -

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thank you, Dan C.

Is there some way for me to see that video at a larger size? I struggle to see what is happening and cannot read the titles to items in the table to the left as they are too small.

I cannot explain why the return characters are a different size to the rest of their respective paragraphs. Put it down to inefficiency ur stupidity on my account!

Thank you, thomaso. I am still a newby when it comes to Affinity apps, even though I have been using them, particulalry .afpub, for about 18 months. I had never noticed the Pinning dialog box. um… pallet? before and need to see if I can find a video that explains its many features.

1 minute ago, Furry said:

Is there some way for me to see that video at a larger size? I struggle to see what is happening and cannot read the titles to items in the table to the left as they are too small.

I can’t view that video at all on my iPad, so I suspect it’s 4K. A 1080p version would probably be better suited to small displays.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Apologies, it was a full screen recording from my Mac.

You can try downloading the video using the 3 dot menu in the bottom right, or try reducing the playback speed - but as far as I'm aware there's no way to 'zoom in' on a video here on the Forums.

However thomasos' video shows the same functionality I'm suggesting using, at a much larger size. If you try the steps outlined in their video, does this now work as expected for you?

5 minutes ago, Furry said:

I cannot explain why the return characters are a different size to the rest of their respective paragraphs. Put it down to inefficiency ur stupidity on my account!

No to worry, if you wish to change this I'd recommend ensuring the Text Frame is active, then use CMD + A to select all the text in the frame, then set the size to 14pt on the Context Toolbar to ensure these returns match the rest of your text :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Additionally, please note that to have the note extracts placed as inline images to auto-adjust the leading, the leading of the paragraph where the image is placed needs to be defined in percentage value (as you have done in both paragraphs that will have inline images) -- (7,2 pt). If the spacing above and/or below inline image is not ideal, you can adjust it easily by using the vertical shift (in Character panel), and space below and after settings (in Paragraph panel).

As your body text has fixed leading of 14,4pt, placing a note extract as an inline object anywhere within body text would not automatically make room for image so there you would need to use other methods, like using local overriding leading (Character panel), or keeping images as floating objects and then using image wrap options to wrap the text.   

Thank you thomaso and Dan C. Between you I have been educated a lot in the last 15 minutes.

I could not see any 3 dot menu in the bottom right. The only 3 dot menu I can see is at the top right of each message and offers only two items, "report" and "share", neither of which is much use to me.

However, I right-clicked on each video and was able to download it to my disk which allowed me to look at each of them in Quicktime at a much larger size. I also found the online video that Affinity has put out about Pinning. Between the three of these videos, I am now much wiser.

Thanks you all for your help.

Alfred, I feel for you but can offer no help. Maybe someone else can?

25 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Apologies, it was a full screen recording from my Mac.

That would explain it!

25 minutes ago, Dan C said:

You can try downloading the video using the 3 dot menu in the bottom right

I presume this suggestion was addressed to @Furry. Here’s all I see on my iPad Air 2:

15008F11-0484-43E4-9ECF-9139C8C43ADA.thumb.jpeg.bfb53ffff4bb1182506a2210f844de83.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

21 minutes ago, Furry said:

I had never noticed the Pinning dialog box.

I thought so from your initial topic description. That's why I pointed you to the Pinning Pannel options in a previous post. Nevertheless with your .afpub it appears to work smoothly without any need for additional adjustment in the panel.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

5 hours ago, Alfred said:

Here’s all I see on my iPad Air 2:

FWIW, I see the same thing on my iPad. On my iMac, all videos play fine.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7