yeshua20

How do I warp text in Affinity Designer?

In defense: It is technically still version 1 software. Adobe illustrator is like version 29 or something like that, the features will come, give it time.

In not-defense: I find it weird that they implemented a bunch of complicated but overly niche isometric perspective tools that maybe 1 in every 100 designers will even experiment with, before fixing expand stroke and adding envelope distortion and a vector eraser...

But it’s their roadmap... and nobody is forcing us to use their apps, so it’s probably just best to nicely keep drawing attention to it, versus getting hostile. You’ll  catch more flies with honey than vinegar, haha. 

On 7/10/2019 at 11:43 AM, TonyO said:

In defense: It is technically still version 1 software. Adobe illustrator is like version 29 or something like that, the features will come, give it time.

In not-defense: I find it weird that they implemented a bunch of complicated but overly niche isometric perspective tools that maybe 1 in every 100 designers will even experiment with, before fixing expand stroke and adding envelope distortion and a vector eraser...

But it’s their roadmap... and nobody is forcing us to use their apps, so it’s probably just best to nicely keep drawing attention to it, versus getting hostile. You’ll  catch more flies with honey than vinegar, haha. 

Well, here's a further reminder. A simple Warp Text control is badly needed, and something many Designer users would like. I'm very impressed with the the software, but this is a massive gap.

52 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Well in the mean time one has to use other third party tools for vector based warping features like for example ...

Strange that we doesn’t have this warp function in any other app on the iOS/iPad OS platform...

The app iDraw (nowadays own by Autodesk and renamed to Graphics) hasn’t this after more than eight years development...

And, we have a lot of others vector drawing apps, several pretty powerful, but non of them has warping...

2 hours ago, ErrkaPetti said:

Strange that we doesn’t have this warp function in any other app on the iOS/iPad OS platform...

And, we have a lot of others vector drawing apps, several pretty powerful, but non of them has warping...

It's probably due to different usage/handling concepts there, or slightly different Apple APIs, since those latest generation iOS platform devices would be CPU/GPU wise powerful enough to handle these things for vectors graphics too. Some iOS tools already do support pixel based distortions so far. - Recently have read that an Amadine version is actually build for iPads too, though I don't know if it's free form distortion feature will then also be ported to iOS.

Also for example Linearity recently added an autotracing feature to their Vectornator software for iPads.

The app iDraw (nowadays own by Autodesk and renamed to Graphics) hasn’t this after more than eight years development...

New coming software like VectorStyler (actually seems to be in beta), does have such features from start up. Amadine too offered this from ground up. - So I think it's more a matter of the respective software implementers feature priorities here and then too what features the end users would like to see/have and use.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.7.3 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.7.3 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Corel Draw (Now for Mac as well as Windows) has had this feature since the 1990s. It would also be great to see dimensioning tools in AD (like 1" equals 1'). They are great for laying out rooms or landscaping.