You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer: Automatically Add a White Fill to Vector Lineart Graphics

I'm trying to find out if there's a quick & easy way to add a fill behind a vector lineart graphic. When overlaying line art on top of line art, several issues arise. The background at the bottom will be visible through the line art graphic that's placed on top. So, I want to add a white fill to the graphic on top in order to make it stand out and look like it's actually on top.

Vector graphics seem more complicated to work with because each line that creates the graphic is in its own layer, rather than being joined together into a single shape. The only way I know how to add a fill to a vector graphic right now is by tracing the outside of that graphic with the pen tool. It works, but it's a tedious process that takes up a lot of time. Is there a faster & easier way to add a white fill behind a lineart graphic?

Please take a look at the image I have attached to get a better idea of what I mean. I added a heart-shaped rose lineart graphic on top of the background. I want to find out if there's a way to quickly add a white fill to the rose, so that it will stand out from the background.

(I'm using the Mac OS version btw.)

Add White Fill to Vector Lineart Graphic.png

As far as the lines of that rose vector are just simple stroke black lines (aka from a centerline trace etc.) and not black outlined lines, you just have to add a white (or whatever you like) fill color then to the rose vectors.

In those shown screencasts the top left rose has outlined lines, thus applying a fill color to that just fills the outlined lines! - The bottom right shown rose has instead simple lines (no outlines) but not all are closed paths here, thus when that rose is filled, all those closed vector line paths are filled with a given color (light blue here). - So be aware of possible line type differences when using ready made vector drawings from certain websites, for those graphics with an outlined line style a fill color will then affect the lines themself and not their inner area, in contrast to a simple single line style graphics!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

On 7/31/2022 at 4:35 PM, v_kyr said:

As far as the lines of that rose vector are just simple stroke black lines (aka from a centerline trace etc.) and not black outlined lines, you just have to add a white (or whatever you like) fill color then to the rose vectors.

In those shown screencasts the top left rose has outlined lines, thus applying a fill color to that just fills the outlined lines! - The bottom right shown rose has instead simple lines (no outlines) but not all are closed paths here, thus when that rose is filled, all those closed vector line paths are filled with a given color (light blue here). - So be aware of possible line type differences when using ready made vector drawings from certain websites, for those graphics with an outlined line style a fill color will then affect the lines themself and not their inner area, in contrast to a simple single line style graphics!

Thank you!

I'm getting mixed results when it comes to this. I tried it on several SVG graphics that I downloaded. It doesn't let me apply a fill, but it does change the color of the lineart.

The only time I was able to apply a fill is when I would draw something in Affinity Designer on my own.

10 minutes ago, andren said:

I'm getting mixed results when it comes to this. I tried it on several SVG graphics that I downloaded.

As said, it depends on the SVG graphics, if that has/uses outlined strokes or just simple line strokes. You can show/share one of those SVGs here, then we can inspect what that is drawn with at all.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2022 at 4:28 PM, v_kyr said:

As said, it depends on the SVG graphics, if that has/uses outlined strokes or just simple line strokes. You can show/share one of those SVGs here, then we can inspect what that is drawn with at all.

Here are some SVGs from Pixabay that I tested this with.

On this one, the fill colors the lineart, but it doesn't fill the shape.

https://pixabay.com/vectors/flower-lily-flora-bloom-blossom-32737/

Here it tries to fill in the shape but it does it unevenly.

https://pixabay.com/vectors/encouraging-floral-flower-flowers-2023283/