You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a keyboard shortcut to "slope" while using the pen tool instead of click on nodes?

Hello all!

After this forums has helped me so much, I finally created an account because I can't seem to find an answer to my question online, but it seems like something that would be implemented.

Is there a way for me to slope a node with a keyboard shortcut?  

I do a lot of work with the pen tool and I've always thought that having to go back to the previous node I created, just to click it and go make a new one seems tedious and takes up a lot of time while doing a large project.  I didn't even know it was called "slope" until I tried looking in the help menu. I've included screenshots of what I'm trying to do to a node with a shortcut incase I didn't explain it correctly. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 10.47.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 10.47.37 AM.png

I work a lot with the pen tool and want to try to help you, but I don't quite understand what you mean (which is just me). Would it be possible for you to share a screenrecording of what you're trying to achieve here? And tell us if you're on mac or windows?

I don't believe this is what you're after by reading your text, but by the looks of the images it could; If you want to get rid of a handle: click on it with holding alt (when on windows).

Just now, MmmMaarten said:

I work a lot with the pen tool and want to try to help you, but I don't quite understand what you mean (which is just me). Would it be possible for you to share a screenrecording of what you're trying to achieve here? And tell us if you're on mac or windows?

I don't believe this is what you're after by reading your text, but by the looks of the images it could; If you want to get rid of a handle: click on it with holding alt (when on windows).

I'll grab a screen recording for you, but all I did was click the node and it takes away the second handle.  I'm on Mac and it's not a big deal, but I was curious if there was a keyboard shortcut without having to click it.

4 minutes ago, MmmMaarten said:

As you can see here, I just don't want to have to keep going back to clicking the node and was hoping there was a keyboard shortcut.

If you want to start a new curve, you just hit escape and draw another curve. But normally you want to continue drawing a curve right? I don't get what you're after. Perhaps you could explain. What I see you do in your video is clicking the same node after drawing a segment as if you'd like to continue the curve, but that's not needed.

Just a quick'n'dirty example (I'm eating at the moment, so not really working precisely, haha 😄) where you can see I never hit a node to continue drawing

When I want what you're after I rotate the handle so still never need to click the node.

What I do is:

- click
- move mouse to second position
- click and drag the pen/mouse until I get the right curve
- press ctrl and alt (on windows) while still holding the mouse or pen down to change the angle and length of the last handle to make a 'hard turn' (this keystroke makes sure the other handle keeps its length and direction)
- click and drag the pen/mouse until I get the right curve 
- etc.

Hope this makes sense (you can also look in the statusbar on the bottom perhaps to see what's happening)

BTW at first this takes a while to get used to, but in the end it's second nature and you don't even think about it anymore

Also an important reason to doing it this way: you never loose the handle, so you can always correct or change the curve later if needed

5 minutes ago, MmmMaarten said:

When I want what you're after I rotate the handle so still never need to click the node.

What I do is:

- click
- move mouse to second position
- click and drag the pen/mouse until I get the right curve
- press ctrl and alt (on windows) while still holding the mouse or pen down to change the angle and length of the last handle to make a 'hard turn'
- click and drag the pen/mouse until I get the right curve 
- etc.

This looks neat and I appreciate it, I didn't know I could do this.  But I'm not sure this exactly saves me the time like I was hoping a shortcut would.  I really appreciate all your replies!

@Jtyoung510 I totally get that it can be intimidating at first, but once you practise this one it's way faster AND non destructive, as you never need to get rid of a handle. I use this way faster than shown in the video and don't even need to think about it anymore. But in the beginning I had also a hard time. It was just training. In the end I think this works much nicer than having a shortcut to get rid of handles, while the only thing I want is to make a steep corner.

But it's up to you how you do it of course. Good luck! 😀

14 minutes ago, MmmMaarten said:

@Jtyoung510 I totally get that it can be intimidating at first, but once you practise this one it's way faster AND non destructive, as you never need to get rid of a handle. I use this way faster than shown in the video and don't even need to think about it anymore. But in the beginning I had also a hard time. It was just training. In the end I think this works much nicer than having a shortcut to get rid of handles, while the only thing I want is to make a steep corner.

But it's up to you how you do it of course. Good luck! 😀

Thanks! I appreciate it, I'll have to try and get used to it. 😊

1 hour ago, Jtyoung510 said:

I didn't know I could do this.  

Keep an eye on the bottom line of your document window. Its tool tip tell various options, context related to the selected tool and cursor position. For instance:

1025994788_bottomlinetooltip.thumb.jpg.fd9329387f5712b3a30bd2e78ae997db.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1