You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to ad two individual automated page numbers in a multipage document in Affinity Publisher?

How to add two individual automated page numbers in a multipage document in Affinity Publisher?
I am working on a project logbook with an example of a brochure for a customer from pages 3 to 25. The project log itself has automatic page numbers. And I would also like to have automatic page numbering under the brochure in the project log.

The problem is that I cannot get two individual automatic numberings. One main page numbering for the whole document and one individual automatic page numbering under the brochure that starts at page 3 with its own page numbering that corresponds to the pages of the brochure. I have looked around in Section manager, but it does not let me add a section that has individual page numbering. Only ones that continue or restart page numbering or alter the formatting of the page numbering.

Is there a way to link Sections to a text field without interfering with other sections?
this way I could have two automated page numberings on one page. 

Is there perhaps another way to get a second automatic page numbering working? Or should I do this by hand?

image.png.16f5919f7373438662388fdd4fa06b6a.png

The current result is section 1 - the main page numbering also restarts at page 3. So, on this page all the automated page number text fields show the same page number.image.thumb.png.49d28cba305546093b6d02d67924c4ac.png

If you are wanting the section with the "Brochure" to show page numbers from 1 to 7 (as they would be in the brochure) and also have the page numbers from the document, which would be 4 to 9, then you are out of luck. This is something that has been requested previously and may or may not be added sometime in the future. We can only have one automatically calculated and added page number.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 3 weeks later...

I want to number a long sequence of spreads, blank except for folio on left, and a photo on right, and have the left page contain only the ordinal ID number of the photo. So...I want to start with "1" on the left (I can do this already, master & section are set up), then on the left page of the *next* spread, I want to have "2" in the # field, not "#". Any way to skip and automate this? thanks for any help.

Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 9.22.46 AM.png

Seeing as we do not have anything like this in the fields which are available to us I would use a linked Text Frame on the Parent/Master page and have a simple text file with the numbers in there.

etc.

Set a Paragraph Style called Folio Numbers which has the Flow setting to Start: Next Frame. Apply this numbers text. Use the Shift + Click on the text frame's text overflow indicator to automatically add the pages for the number of numbers.

Folio numbers.afpub

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

1 hour ago, deedub said:

I want to number a long sequence of spreads, blank except for folio on left, and a photo on right, and have the left page contain only the ordinal ID number of the photo. So...I want to start with "1" on the left (I can do this already, master & section are set up), then on the left page of the *next* spread, I want to have "2" in the # field, not "#". Any way to skip and automate this? thanks for any help.

As @Old Bruce indicated, this will probably require linked text frames. But for a simpler approach (in my opinion) you can use the Field "Next Frame Page Number" as I have done in this sample document:

next-frame-page-number.afpub

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

But for a simpler approach (in my opinion) you can use the Field "Next Frame Page Number" as I have done in this sample document:

I was under the impression @deedub wanted the numbers to be 1, 2, 3 and not the next page's page number.

7 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I was under the impression @deedub wanted the numbers to be 1, 2, 3 and not the next page's page number.

Good point. In that case, your approach is best.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1