You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Terrible Text Rendering after updating Mac Book Pro (m1) to Mojave 12.5

Dear @Alex M

since you are also on 12.5 I do not have to downgrade to 12.4. 🧚‍♀️ That is the good news.

After all your detailed input I finally understood that AP Photo does not use the same text/font rendering concepts as Designer and Publisher. Your links to some other threads made it very clear to me.

I did check with integrated display only - as you recommended. Result: Basically the same issue as on the external display. But due to the very high resolution on a very small screen the rendering flaws are barely noticeable. Up to almost 300% zoom level the jagged edges are merely visible. Switching the external display to a lower resolution is not an option since the problem persists. 

Obviously it seems  that I have to live with Affinity Photo as it is right now. Anyway Photo, Designer and Publisher are very good tools being offered at a very reasonable price. 

Thanks a lot for explaining all the details. I think this thread can be closed, although we did not find an immediate solution. As you said it is the underlying concept of handling all layers as raster layers in Affinity Photo. Now I understand why you were interested in the layers I used in the document initially. It took me some more of your explanations to understand. Probably it was the same with 12.4 which I simply was not aware of. The graphics I was dealing with then had much focus on text elements.

Again thanks for your time, patience and effort - and excuse my stubbornness.

Renate.

Hopefully someone from the team will open a ticket or assign a bug tag to this thread as well as to other threads mentioned in my previous message.
If this whole concept will go straight to 2.0 without any changes or improvements, that would be actually very sad and disappointing.

Just do give an update: even with a full HD Monitor (actually 1920x1200) (in parallel to 5K Monitor), I get no issues to render text / fonts.

Everything is as it should be.

2017356593_Screenshot2022-08-02at17_03_35.thumb.png.4a8384f05cb01d6337804a9ebfa15cba.png

1085703927_Screenshot2022-08-02at17_07_55.png.b9b1792ba8076850c5c3a5cd9b48e258.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

@NotMyFault

Thank you for the screenshot provided. What seems strange to me is that 1920x1080 document fully fits into your 1920x1200 display at 134% and there's even more space available for side panels.

I suppose you opened AP on your main screen and then dragged the window to the second display. In this scenario AP will still think it runs on high-res display and pressing Cmd+1 or setting zoom level to 100% will actually give us image shown just in half of its original size. If you press Tab (to hide all the panels) you'll see that document canvas is exactly half the width of your screen.

Can you please try setting your second display as main temporarily in Preferences. In this way AP will start running on that display first and probably you'll be able to get an idea what I'm trying to catch here.

10 minutes ago, Alex M said:

@NotMyFault

Thank you for the screenshot provided. What seems strange to me is that 1920x1080 document fully fits into your 1920x1200 display at 134% and there's even more space available for side panels.

I suppose you opened AP on your main screen and then dragged the window to the second display. In this scenario AP will still think it runs on high-res display and pressing Cmd+1 or setting zoom level to 100% will actually give us image shown just in half of its original size. If you press Tab (to hide all the panels) you'll see that document canvas is exactly half the width of your screen.

Can you please try setting your second display as main temporarily in Preferences. In this way AP will start running on that display first and probably you'll be able to get an idea what I'm trying to catch here.

below screenshots with main display to 1920x1200 Dell 2408.

Quality is still 100% as expected. You can verify of you load the images to photo, activate 1x1px grid, and zoom in.

The images exactly covers the display, and leaves the expected black edges top/bottom. Except the scrollbar.

Screenshot 2022-08-02 at 17.51.24.png

Screenshot 2022-08-02 at 17.51.05.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

To be absolutely honest: I see the quality issue raised by @Renate RS, but I'm still unable to reproduce it on my devices.

That quality issue is a (temporary?) rendering at 1/2 of the resolution, in x-axis. I have seen a similar issue on Windows, where it could take several seconds (up to about 20 in my experiments) until the mipmap showed full resolution. This was mainly GPU driver related. I made a screen recording, extracted individual image frames, and compared them to exactly analyse the timeline.

It is possible that similar things happen under MacOS. For me it is important that this is not a general bug affecting all users. Affinity works (with respect to the topic listed here) flawlessly on all my devices, but it seems you, Renate RS and others might be affected under still not clear cirsumstances.

8 minutes ago, Alex M said:

@NotMyFault Of course, they will be perfect since they are 100% zoom level! Now please try setting zoom level to 134% as you did previoulsy while maintaining your Dell as a main display. Sorry, if confused you with unclear instructions.

Here you go. Agree that there is the 1/2 resolution issue at certain places.

But I see this only in screenshots (not in real live).

972591905_Screenshot2022-08-02at18_03_00.thumb.png.da25b503657c88ec468b70dd0c66fdf1.png

Screenshot 2022-08-02 at 18.01.24.png

Screenshot 2022-08-02 at 18.01.13.png

7 minutes ago, Alex M said:

@NotMyFault 

Finally! Thank you very much! Do you see how uneven the whole canvas is on two last screenshots you posted?

It doesn't look like Bilinear it's even worse, way worse I must say. That's what I'm talking about.

The problem persists for non-retina displays between 100% and 200%.

It is only a temporary rendering issue inside the app - not affecting exports. There are much more (and more severe) rendering issues. If you merge visible, and zoom in 400% to 1000%, the rendering is correct!

PS:

Have a look at this file. It shows totally false colors while zooming.

@NotMyFault 

I confirm, this doesn't affect exports as they run through resampling pass (Bilinear, Bicubic or whatever we choose in settings). But that's another story.

However I should notice that this even visible-in-app-only thing could potentially affect our workflow or some decisions we're making when working on an image.

For me, it just feels "wrong" or broken. I wish they consider adding a single Bilinear pass for such odd zoom levels just like they do it currently when going below 100%.

I think you agree with me, that it is always better to have as much accurate representation of canvas as it is possible during the work on the image.

But, probably, it's always better to work at 100% zoom level and sometimes go precisely to 200% or 400% if needed.

2 minutes ago, Alex M said:

@NotMyFault 

I confirm, this doesn't affect exports as they run through resampling pass (Bilinear, Bicubic or whatever we choose in settings). But that's another story.

However I should notice that this even visible-in-app-only thing could potentially affect our workflow or some decisions we're making when working on an image.

For me, it just feels "wrong" or broken. I wish they consider adding a single Bilinear pass for such odd zoom levels just like they do it currently when going below 100%.

I think you agree with me, that it is always better to have as much accurate representation of canvas as it is possible during the work on the image.

But, probably, it's always better to work at 100% zoom level and sometimes go precisely to 200% or 400% if needed.

I do totally agree with you, @Alex M.

If a bug is severer than another is depending on the work you are performing. Bugs or implementation flaws should ideally be fixed, if possible. It is somewhat pointless excusing bugs with bugs.

For me I took the decision to consider Affinity Designer or Publisher more often in the future.  

Regarding exports: If I am using a graphics app it should be as accurate as possible (it was called WYSIWIG some decades ago). How can I be sure upfront that export is working perfectly, when my original work looks clumsy? 

Renate.

You may add your vote here