You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Impossible to work: Affinity publisher 1.10.5 crash when export

• Staff

@JoseLuisCR

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

I do not think that your problem is the same as the one above, as all these users are exporting on macOS Ventura beta, which is a new problem, whareas you say that you are printing to PDF on macOS 12.5

Please make a new thread where your problem can be discussed and hopefully sorted for you 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

6 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

@JoseLuisCR

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

I do not think that your problem is the same as the one above, as all these users are exporting on macOS Ventura beta, which is a new problem, whareas you say that you are printing to PDF on macOS 12.5

Please make a new thread where your problem can be discussed and hopefully sorted for you 

That's a great issue, what can we do? We're stuck with the macOS beta and the current version of Affinity without hope of new version of Affinity before weeks.... Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

On 7/31/2022 at 7:08 PM, Lee D said:

HI @ddashanghai welcome to the forums.

Is this happening with any document or just one?

As you're using a beta of macOS, have you tried using Publisher and exporting the same file in a non beta version of macOS to see if the same occurs?

This is happening for all documents, as soon as we export them (my last export was PDF). It's also crashing as soon as we try to open a pdf document in Affinity.

On 7/31/2022 at 7:08 PM, Lee D said:

HI @ddashanghai welcome to the forums.

Is this happening with any document or just one?

As you're using a beta of macOS, have you tried using Publisher and exporting the same file in a non beta version of macOS to see if the same occurs?

Everything was working fine on Beta 3. The crashing started on Macos 13 beta 4

13 hours ago, ddashanghai said:

... what can we do? We're stuck with the macOS beta ...

Use whatever installed OS you have that is not a beta.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 8/3/2022 at 12:34 AM, Schwelli said:

Same here in designer, photo, publisher. Worked absolutely fine until today under macOS 13 Beta, now all three apps crash every time I click "export" -with any document.  I reinstalled them, but it stays the same :(

Surprisingly today everything went back to normal without doing anything and without any announced update from macOS beta or Affinity. I could export my files normally under PDF or any format. Did you experience the same?

• 3 weeks later...

Same here.

Publisher 1.10.5 (including previous versions) on iMac 5K, (3,6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB, 27-Zoll (5120 × 2880), 2019) and several more machines, all using Ventura Version 13.0 Beta (22A5321d).
Crash on export 100% on the cases. Deleting Prefs works only once. 

10 Reasons Why Strategic Plans Fail
Having a plan simply for plans sake - Not understanding the environment or focusing on results - Partial commitment - Not having the right people involved - Writing the plan and putting it on the shelf - Unwillingness or inability to change - Having the wrong people in leadership positions - No accountability or follow through - Unrealistic goals or lack of focus and resources.

Get it?

• 4 weeks later...

Ran into a desperate series of crashes with a 150 page document. Had to cut it down into chunks of 25 pages. Had to make multiple versions of files as burner copies cos it would corrupt and then not open the file once crashed.

Mac Monterey  version 12.5.1
M1 Mini
Publisher 1.10.5

These documents are complex with lots of placed Designer files with nested Designer files in them sitting on top of and reaching into 180 gig of project data. All of this was sitting on the M1 hard drive for the M1 speed benefits. What I didn’t notice was the M1 running out of space, down to 45gig spare, less than 10%. Me making back up files was adding to the problem. 

I had seen the occasional memory warning but not on this day. Just the quitting. I have seen a warning saying the program had run out of memory allocation at 45 Gig on this 8Gig M1. So there is a lot of RAM synthesising going on. 

I moved the files to a SSD on USBC, still very fast. Deleted the local files to give me 220 gig free space. Now opening files that previously were quitting. 

Lesson for me: quitting might be a combo of system, hard drive space and file complexity. 

Hope this helps someone looking at this late at night with deadline  panic.