You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

convert a photo to a pencel drawing

These are the steps I used to create the image below.

1. duplicate your image ⌘+J

2. select the duplicated image go to adjustments > HSL and move the saturation to -100%

3. select the duplicated image and change its blend mode to color dodge then invert image the image ⌘+I

4. image should be mostly white go to filters > blur > gaussian blur, slide the radius till you get the effect your looking for.

To add textture go to filter noise add noise.

I used this video from Blue Lightning TV

Image used from
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sad_Summer_Girl_Portrait.jpg

imac1943,

you could go a step further: after applying the method suggested by doeboy, try adding a threshold adjustment layer on top. the result should be closer to what you want to achieve.

as a side note, i'd also suggest substituting the hsl adjustment with a black&white adjustment. again, the result is to desaturate the image and avoid color halos, but since the bw adjustment offers separate controls for the color components, you should be able to tune the effect according your needs and taste.

take care,

stefano

hello imac1943,

you can do it the same way you add the hsl adjustment or the b/w adjustment.

select the top layer of your project, click on the adjustments tab at the top of the layer stack, or on the adjustment icon at the bottom of it, and select "Treshold". Then, adjust the slider control to your taste.

happy new year to you too!

take care,

stefano

Maybe one more question barninga. 

If I work with Illustrator I have the posiblility to 'soften' the drawing in this way (see picture).
can I do the same in Affinity Designer?

I normally import a drawing into AD because I then can enlarge the drawing without having pixels.

I hope you understand what I mean.

post-12316-0-87005600-1451726376_thumb.png

hi,

unfortunately i don't use affinity designer, so i cannot help you specifically.

however, many features of photo are in common with designer, so it's possible that you can replicate in ad the steps that would accomplish your goal in ap.

i don't catch exaclty what you mean by "soften": can you please post the original image (before softening in illustrator)?

take care,

stefano

See attached file. On top a drawing that has been enlarged in PS or AF. No straight line, but a kind of sawtooth.

In Illustrator as I mentioned in previous post, you can turn it into a black and white drawing. OK, the sawtooth is not totally gone, but now it's nearly good enough for screenprinting on textile.

Screenprinting on textile, in my case, is always black and white because I have to print on special transparent paper. The paint goes through the screen or doesn't goes through the screen.

I was wandering if the same can be done in AD

post-12316-0-17124700-1451730464_thumb.png

i'd try applying a gaussian blur to the original image and then the treshold adjustment. i mean, first blur, then treshold.

if you use a live filter, you'll be able to fine tune both and see what settings work best for you.

see what i got modifying your image this way.

post-22319-0-18804200-1451817534_thumb.jpg

take care,

stefano

do you mean this:

1. duplicate your image ⌘+J

2. select the duplicated image go to adjustments > HSL and move the saturation to -100%

3. select the duplicated image and change its blend mode to color dodge then invert image the image ⌘+I

4. image should be mostly white go to filters > blur > gaussian blur, slide the radius till you get the effect your looking for.

5. treshold

1. yes

2. yes, but instead of hsl you could select "black and white" (it allows you to better tune the bw result)

3. yes

4. yes, it works, but imho a better option would be:

4.1 select the duplicated image

4.2 go to menus, Layer => New Live Filter Layer => Gaussian Blur

4.3 slide the radius till you get the effect you're looking for

5. yes

6. optional: select the duplicated image go to adjustments > Recolour and set the hue as desired if you want a colored image instead of a b/w one

now the question about "live filter".

yes, i did mean what you show in the image you attached.

the advantage of using live filter layers (instead of the filters that you can find in the Filters menu) is that live filters automatically set the effect as a mask you can edit later, just like adjustments:

- if you later double click on the mask, you reopen the filter's controls and can modify all of the settings

- if you later click on the mask, you can paint over it with the paint brush. note that the effect mask is white by default, which means that the effect is shown everywhere: so you'll paint black where you want to hide the effect. you can invert the mask (click on it and then press cmd-i): this will hide the effect everywhere and you'll paint white where you want the effect to be shown

in other words, live filter layers allow to edit the image non destructively. you can modify the filter's settings, delete or deactivate it, mask it, and so on, without the need of throwing away the editing work you have possibly done after setting the live filter.

on the other hand, the filters you apply through the Filters menu are destructive: they modify the pixel structure/color of the image. you can undo them, but if you do more editing after applying one of them and you want to undo that filter, you'll have to undo any subsequent work and redo it again after applying your changes.

take care,

stefano