You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Placed PDF is rasterised while sending to the printer

Simply an observation, no worries for me and I guess this topic can be found elsewhere. The title says it all. Printing from PDF = all vector. Printing from ID CS6 = all vector. Printing from APu = all bitmap. Is Serif willing to admit, that the printing dialogue / printing engine needs more love? ;)

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

• Staff

Hi @joe_l,

This will likely be happening due to the PDF Passthrough method being used.  If you change the PDF Passthrough method from Passthrough to Interpret (you can do this once you've placed the PDF via the context toolbar align the top), you should find you can then print without it being rasterised.

16 minutes ago, stokerg said:

If you change the PDF Passthrough method from Passthrough to Interpret (you can do this once you've placed the PDF via the context toolbar align the top), you should find you can then print without it being rasterised.

Unfortunately switching from Passthrough to Interpret is not the way to go. As you know yourself, switching to Interpret can destroy the original layout. So what is the magic behind printing from ID or Acrobat? Sorry to say and nothing personally, but directly printing from the Affinities is not reliable. I hope things are getting better in the future versions and in the meantime I print from PDF (when placed PDF are involved). Everything fine on my side. 🙂

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

The easiest option would be to have a text to paths option when opening a PDF

1 hour ago, joe_l said:

directly printing from the Affinities is not reliable. I hope things are getting better in the future versions

Printing reliable output to postscript devices is a pretty basic requirement, I really hope this improves, I know one guy who works in a print department said that a few people have mentioned Affinity but after trialing, and trying to send to his RIP he came to the conclusion that it was just a toy, which is a bit harsh.

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

I've noticed something similar with placed SVG images/files, and I'm sure it's from the same basic print engine cause, and totally bypasses the question of PDF interpretation.

If I export from AffPub, then print the PDF, I get nice crisp vector graphics at the printer's limiting resolution.

If I print directly from AffPub, I get rasterized graphics with artifacts that are not difficult to spot.

This has not been a major problem (because export to PDF for better-than-draft printing is not a problem), but I had been meaning to discuss the issue.  This seems like an appropriate time and place.