You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New work: Iolani

Greggry P

New artwork – a last minute entry for @thetuesdaycollective’s themed challenge of “Pink & Red” over on Instagram.

I’ve been getting bogged down in obsessively detailed artwork recently, and so I set myself a challenge of creating a series of pieces in the style of my favourite and most inspirational artists. The idea is to learn how to drastically simplify my work, and learn a wealth of tips and tricks along the way.

This piece is in the style of the amazing Mads Berg (if you don’t know his work, you should DEFINITELY check it out), and it’s been really enjoyable to create, and a brilliant learning experience.

For example, that lei – at one time I would have felt compelled to create a huge, bushy garland of flowers, each one different, and every single petal individually crafted in vector. It would have taken weeks, I would have been raging throughout, and feeling like I was involved in some sort of technical exercise, rather than feeling the joy of creativity. Fine detail will always have a place in my work, but Mads has taught me that less is definitely more!

Anyway, hope you like it!

CF169468-2E97-4586-A616-F9650CFA0C94.jpeg

AB78EE49-30FB-4306-946B-F258C2D384B4.jpeg

5BCFF7D9-237A-4E9E-9537-AFF3D776D6CA.jpeg

16C5F4C1-BD0C-4B6C-83D1-218C6C35AD24.jpeg

I love the picture. So holiday-ish. But…… I have a comment if you don’t mind…  The leg of the lady is not correct. It looks like it is posted above the dress. I think it’s because of the shade at the top. I think you can make a correction when you put the layer of the leg benieth the layer of the skirt. 

1 hour ago, Ashcat said:

I love the picture. So holiday-ish. But…… I have a comment if you don’t mind…  The leg of the lady is not correct. It looks like it is posted above the dress. I think it’s because of the shade at the top. I think you can make a correction when you put the layer of the leg benieth the layer of the skirt. 

Thanks Ashcat. The idea is that the leg is visible through a slit in her sarong (see preliminary sketch at the bottom), but glad you like it!