You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer crashed somehow and won't start up again

So, Designer crashed somehow and when I try to start it again it stalls endlessly.

What can I do to force Designer to start at a blanc?
Is there some commandline option that I should use?
Is there a file or folder that I should remove in order to make Designer start again?

Okay, here's the deal:

Affinity Designer crashes on the following sequence:

• AD is open with a very simple design holding only two bitmap images that I intend to trace into vector
  • I want to add another bitmap from the web. From my browser Vivaldi I copy the desired bitmap image
  • Alt-tab back to Designer and Presto: Designer has lost its senses and shows an endless spinning arrow (hourglass) indicating it is busy
  • Designer will remain busy for far too long, longer than I am prepared to wait.

• Staff

Hi @StephanP,

I would initially suggest disabling Hardware Acceleration in Edit > Preferences > Performance, restart Designer and repeat your workflow to see if the freeze occurs. If you're still having issues you could try factory resetting Designer to its default settings by following the below tutorial (Same process across the apps).

Although it's highly unlikely to be related, have you tried copying your source image from a different browser, Alt-tab back to Designer and pasting?

22 hours ago, StephanP said:

Okay, here's the deal:

Affinity Designer crashes on the following sequence:

• AD is open with a very simple design holding only two bitmap images that I intend to trace into vector
  • I want to add another bitmap from the web. From my browser Vivaldi I copy the desired bitmap image
  • Alt-tab back to Designer and Presto: Designer has lost its senses and shows an endless spinning arrow (hourglass) indicating it is busy
  • Designer will remain busy for far too long, longer than I am prepared to wait.

I use a Mac & the Apple Safari browser. When I try doing this using that same bitmap image with Safari's File > Copy command & then CMD tab (Alt/Option tab does nothing on my Mac) back into AD, I do not get a wait cursor or any other indication that it is busy, & I can instantly paste that image into my AD document without any problems.

Maybe if you include your AD file with the two bitmap images in it, it might help figure out what is causing your problem?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@NathanC Thanks pointing me to the Start and Press-Hold-CTRL bringing up the Clear data dialogue. Unfortunately clear all does not resolve my issue with Designer stalling during start.

The odd thing is: it occured just like that. One moment I'm working with Designer, another moment it crashes (seemingly for ever).

Once I got Designer c.s. on their feet again, I'll try and disable hardware accelleration.

A restart of my laptop got the Affinity products starting again. I've disabled hardware accelleration for all three and will continue my experiments trying to find more conditions to the issue I've been experiencing