You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I see this is a common issue, but what is the resolution? Affinity Designer and Photo max out my i7 32GB Surface Book 3 all the time. This is really a nuisance because I run a business that is 100% based off of graphic design. I've done factory resets, ticked and unticked the "Hardware Acceleration" in the programs, switched to my NVIDIA GPU, etc, but nothing helps. Please tell me there is something to stop the lagging in these programs on my computer. 

CPU Maxed.jpg

Performance and Memory Compiled.jpg

• Staff

Hi @Loyalty Is Key,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! Can you please open Affinity then navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

I can also see the Brush in your screenshot is set to the maximum size that the Paint Brush Tool allows - in conjunction with a high resolution pixel brush, it's not unexpected that this may cause your performance to take a hit. There is a considerable amount of memory and computational power required when painting and manipulating pixels at such a large size.

These brushes are designed to be used as 'Stamp' brushes, rather than being click+dragged, like a regular brush. Is there a reason you have this set to the largest size the tool allows?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

6 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi @Loyalty Is Key,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! Can you please open Affinity then navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

I can also see the Brush in your screenshot is set to the maximum size that the Paint Brush Tool allows - in conjunction with a high resolution pixel brush, it's not unexpected that this may cause your performance to take a hit. There is a considerable amount of memory and computational power required when painting and manipulating pixels at such a large size.

These brushes are designed to be used as 'Stamp' brushes, rather than being click+dragged, like a regular brush. Is there a reason you have this set to the largest size the tool allows?

Many thanks in advance :)

This is an example because I design t-shirts, amongst other things and I create my designs at scale. 

Affinity Designer Settings.jpg

• Staff

Many thanks for providing that for me, I'd recommend changing the following in this dialog:

View Quality: Nearest Neighbour
Renderer: Nvidia GTX 1650 / 1660ti (I'm not 100% which model of Surface Book 3 you have)
Hardware Acceleration:  Disabled

It's possible that Affinity is switching GPUs, depending on your laptops OS settings. Therefore I'd like to force the Nvidia card to be in use for Affinity at all times, please see the below link for how to achieve this -

I also recommend downloading the latest drivers for your GTX 1650/1660ti directly from Nvidias website, as outdated graphics card drivers can cause issues in Affinity apps -

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx

However, as mentioned above, when using the Pixel Brush at max size this will require considerable computation power and may be slower to react than smaller brushwork.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 7/25/2022 at 6:38 AM, Dan C said:

Many thanks for providing that for me, I'd recommend changing the following in this dialog:

View Quality: Nearest Neighbour
Renderer: Nvidia GTX 1650 / 1660ti (I'm not 100% which model of Surface Book 3 you have)
Hardware Acceleration:  Disabled

It's possible that Affinity is switching GPUs, depending on your laptops OS settings. Therefore I'd like to force the Nvidia card to be in use for Affinity at all times, please see the below link for how to achieve this -

I also recommend downloading the latest drivers for your GTX 1650/1660ti directly from Nvidias website, as outdated graphics card drivers can cause issues in Affinity apps -

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx

However, as mentioned above, when using the Pixel Brush at max size this will require considerable computation power and may be slower to react than smaller brushwork.

I hope this helps :)

Thank you, but that did not resolve the issue. I've done that before as mentioned in the post and just tried it again after you recommended it, but it still lags. I only used that document size as an example, but it does that on smaller canvases too. This is very disappointing. 

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Loyalty Is Key said:

Is there a tutorial to accomplish this?

Probably lots on the web.

<Not not seriously ON>

Be aware that doing so might void your fire insurance.

<Not not seriously OFF>

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.