You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to display two document at the same time?

I hope this is easy, but I don't know how to do it: I want to display two .afdesign documents side by side, so I can look at one of them while editing the other one.  I don't want to toggle back and forth between the documents - I want them both visible at the same time.  Any way to do this?  Thanks

• Staff

Hi pomme27,

Go to menu Window ▸ Separated Mode. You can now have each document in its own window and place them side by side.

You have to open at least one image for the command Window ▸ Separated Mode become available.

Hello fred reichardt,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You have to enable Separated Mode as i have described above then open both images (let's call them A and B ), go to image A, select the Clone Tool, press and hold ⌥ (option/alt) and click over the area you want to clone to set the source area. Then, still on the same image go to context toolbar and click on the Set Global Source button. Now go to image B, select the Clone Tool, go to the context toolbar, click on the Current Layer dropdown and change it to Global. Place the cursor over the target area and it should paint with the data from the image A.

MEB . . . I'm struggling with this one.  I see no 'Set Global Source' button on the clone context bar and no  'Global' option on the current layer drop down . . . I only see only the three options: Current layer, current layer and below, and layers beneath.  Also in another post I believe you stated that you saw no way to display two images side by side for cloning.  Thanks for your continued help. I really need this  application that I have in Photoshop. I need to see the source for the clone as well as the receiving image to do the job.  

I found this.
Global source hides behind the double arrow. Tick that, and then you can change the source in the toolbar.

post-14034-0-16908300-1451347404_thumb.png

post-14034-0-61912300-1451347414_thumb.png

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

• Staff

Hi fred reichardt,

Besides what Madame suggested you can also enlarge the toolbar (drag it from the sides) to make all buttons visible.

If that's not the issue, make sure you follow the steps in the order i described. The Set Global Source button only becomes available (not greyed out) after you set the source area you want to clone from on the first document (press and hold ⌥ (option/alt) and click over the area you want to clone to do it). Only then you move to image B.

Regarding my comment on another thread about cloning from one image to another not being possible, i wasn't aware at that point that it was in fact possible to do it. I acknowledged that a few posts below in the same thread. I will edit it to make this clear. Sorry the confusion.

• 7 years later...

I have just purchased Affinity Designer 2, and I am trying to separate two layered images, so I can drug some elements from one to another. I followed your instructions from before, where you suggested going to menu Window ▸ Separated Mode. However, I just can not find on my Window any mention of “Separated Mode” even that I have two documents open. Could you help me? Thanks,  

Welcome to the forums @Ashika :)

You running Mac OS? Sadly they removed the Separated Mode..

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

@AshikaAlthough Separate mode has gone on Macs you can still see/work on multiple open documents side by side by going to; Window > Float View to Window.
To get back to Tabs afterwards use; Window > Merge All Windows.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! 

I don't know if there is other topic related to this but...

I'm editing a file where its the final file of a project, in which I have a picture of a room, a wooden frame placed into a wall and an artwork inside of the frame.
The other file I'm working on this project its the artwork itself. 

So my will is: I want to work at this artwork's file and have the room file opened in another window to see in real time the changes I made in the artwork and how it looks at the final version (the picture of the room with the artwork inside it).

Could you give me a light?