You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

BUG in HSL adjustment

Windows 10

Affinity Photo version: 1.10.5.1342

Applying a layer adjustment "HSL".

When I use this adjustment and click on "MERGE" in the table, or use "MERGE BELOW" in the list of layer controls, in addition to the saturation adjustment a BLURRING is applied to the layer, which ruins it.

I have tried different modes.

Even "inserting" the adjustment layer into the layer to be edited (see attached file) the blur appears.

Even when the adjustment layer is DESELECTED!

If I rasterize this layer containing the HSL adjustment the blur remains, both with the adjustment selected and deselected.

The only way it does not appear is if I group the layer to be edited with the HSL adjustment layer and then rasterize.

But that is a cumbersome procedure.

The adjustment should also work on its own, using the appropriate "MERGE" button!

RaffaellaLunelli_prova_HSL.afphoto

• Staff

Hi @Raff,

Thanks for your report!

I can confirm there are 2 reasons for this happening - firstly the image you have selected is at 651DPI, whereas your document is at 300DPI.

When using the Merge command with different DPIs between the document and layer, the layer will be resampled to the documents DPI.

Equally, the layer isn't currently Pixel aligned, meaning anti-aliasing will occur, post merge.

To avoid this, please do the following:

• Select the Pan Tool, then change the Units on the Context Toolbar to Pixels
  • Select the Move Tool, then select your Layer and use the Transform Studio to ensure the X&Y values are full pixels (this can also be done by moving the Pixel layer with Snapping and 'Force Pixel Alignment' enabled) 
  • Right-click on the Pixel layer and select Rasterise (this convert the image from 651DPI to 300DPI, to match the document
  • Now, merge the HSL adjustment and you should find no blurring occurs

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

3 ore fa, Dan C ha detto:

Ciao@Raff,

Grazie per la tua segnalazione!

Posso confermare che ci sono 2 ragioni per cui ciò accade: in primo luogo l'immagine che hai selezionato è a 651 DPI, mentre il tuo documento è a 300 DPI.

Quando si utilizza il comando Unisci con DPI diversi tra il documento e il livello, il livello verrà ricampionato nei DPI dei documenti.

Allo stesso modo, il livello non è attualmente allineato con i pixel, il che significa che sirà l'anti-alias, dopo l'unione.

Per evitare ciò, eseguire le seguenti operazioni:

• Seleziona lo strumento Panoramica, quindi modifica le unità sulla barra degli strumenti contestuale in pixel
  • Seleziona lo strumento Sposta, quindi seleziona il tuo livello e usa Transform Studio per assicurarti che i valori X&Y siano  pixel pieni  (questo può essere fatto anche spostando il livello Pixel con Snapping e "Forza allineamento pixel" abilitati) 
  • Fare clic con il tasto destro del mouse sul livello Pixel e selezionare Rasterizza (questo converte l'immagine da 651 DPI a 300 DPI, in modo che corrisponda al documento
  • Ora, unisci la regolazione HSL e non trovare sfocature

spero che questo aiuti:)

Grazie!
Queste immagini sono state copiate e incollate da un'altra immagine originale.
Ho fatto il test e funziona anche se rasterizzo il livello senza prima cambiare la dimensione dei pixel, lo fa automaticamente.
Non sapevo che potesse esserci questo problema PPI (NON DPI!).

Ma sarebbe bello se Affinity indicasse che ci sono queste incongruenze magari dando un nome diverso al livello, oppure inserendo un segno o un colore particolare!

Non capisco una cosa, però.
Il documento originale da cui ho copiato le immagini (con una selezione, non l'intera immagine) era a 300 DPI.
Perché la parte copiata viene modificata?
Forse perché l'ho ridimensionato?
Ma il valore PPI (DPI) non dovrebbe cambiare...

It is not a DPI issue, because I did another test.
I copied into the base image a whole image that is at 300 DPI, and it stays that way even when copied, but even with that the blurring problem happens if I do NOT rasterize it!

7 hours ago, Raff said:

Non capisco una cosa, però.
Il documento originale da cui ho copiato le immagini (con una selezione, non l'intera immagine) era a 300 DPI.
Perché la parte copiata viene modificata?
Forse perché l'ho ridimensionato?
Ma il valore PPI (DPI) non dovrebbe cambiare

If you resized the pasted selection by dragging a corner or edge of its bounding box, that changed it's DPI. It would only have the original 300 DPI ofy you pasted it  and left the size unchanged. 

8 hours ago, Raff said:

It is not a DPI issue, because I did another test.
I copied into the base image a whole image that is at 300 DPI, and it stays that way even when copied, but even with that the blurring problem happens if I do NOT rasterize it!

Did you check the X and Y pixel coordinates of the pasted layer and make sure they are integers? You need to force them to integer values, or set the number of decimal places for pixel unit display in the Preferences, User Interface section, to a higher value. I suggest at least 3, but going higher can sometimes help.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The two dog layers on the Right hand side of the document are at different pixel locations and they are not the same size. Check it by using pixels for the units of measurement.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.