You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Does anyone else out there use DxO with Photo? If so do you know why, in high contrast situations, DxO converts whites to magenta? I have passed the problem on to DxO but so far there is no solution. In normal contrast situations it cooperates brilliantly so I would like to use it more. I have asked DxO if this occurs with other photo processing software but had no reply to that question. It seems optimised for Lightwave.

• Staff

Hi @ms.fuentecilla,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Can you please confirm for me, does this issue occur only when using the Plugin within Affinity Photo, or do you also see the same colour issue when opening these high contrast images directly within the DxO software?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

3 hours ago, ms.fuentecilla said:

Does anyone else out there use DxO with Photo? If so do you know why, in high contrast situations, DxO converts whites to magenta? I have passed the problem on to DxO but so far there is no solution. In normal contrast situations it cooperates brilliantly so I would like to use it more. I have asked DxO if this occurs with other photo processing software but had no reply to that question. It seems optimised for Lightwave.

1) Do you actually mean "use the DxO Nik Collection of plugins within Affinity Photo", If so which Nik plugin is giving this colour shift?  Or do they all do it?

2) When you say you've passed the problem on to DxO, do you mean you've submitted the problem direct to DxO Support via this page:

https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

If you have not also posted about this problem on the DxO User Forum:

https://feedback.dxo.com/

you should do so.  You will get a faster response from the DxO users there than from DxO Support.

3) When you say, "optimised for Lightwave", do you mean the Nik plugins seem to work better in Adobe Lightroom?

17 hours ago, RichardMH said:

...it happens to me too. Image exported from DxO  looks OK in Capture One but not Photo.

I can't reproduce this effect.

Can you give more details of your workflow within DxO?  For example:

1) Which DxO product and version are you using, Photolab 5 (Essential / Elite)?

2) What type of file did you process in DxO?  RAW (format) / TIFF (16bit/8bit/8bit compressed) / JPEG (quality)?

3) What edits did you apply to the file?  (If you can upload the .dop file that will show the edits you used)

3) In which format did you export your edited file? TIFF (16bit/8bit/8bit compressed) / JPEG (quality)?

• Staff

Hi @ms.fuentecilla,
If you are referring to highlights areas being rendered with a magenta/reddish when exporting DNG's generated by DxO DeepPRIME technology this is a known issue that's already with development. Can you give us a few more details (how are the image being sent to Photo/format etc) and eventually attach a sample file showing the issue please? Thank you.

Hello MEB

The files are first processed in DxO Pure Raw2. These are then saved as RAW files to maintain flexibility. The saved files are then opened in Photo. In Photo I either try to reduce exposure or to use the highlights/shadows dialogue to reduce highlights. The magenta occurs in the highlight zones when I operate the sliders for those. If I do the same with the original RAW files from my cameras in Photo without the intervention of DxO this is usually a successful procedure.

It is the way Pure Raw handles noise and sharpness that attracts me. In particular it makes rather inferior quality images from my Olympus TG6 (poor sensor?) more acceptable but it is sometimes also good with the Sony6300 ARW.

I produced some samples to send to DxO and will try to find them; if that fails I can repeat the procedure and post them. They tend to be largish!

Sorry I failed to mention that this was a RAW issue but thought it unnecessary because Pure Raw will only accept RAW files!

Thank you for your response

Michael

• Staff
On 7/29/2022 at 5:57 PM, ms.fuentecilla said:

Hello MEB

The files are first processed in DxO Pure Raw2. These are then saved as RAW files to maintain flexibility. The saved files are then opened in Photo. In Photo I either try to reduce exposure or to use the highlights/shadows dialogue to reduce highlights. The magenta occurs in the highlight zones when I operate the sliders for those. If I do the same with the original RAW files from my cameras in Photo without the intervention of DxO this is usually a successful procedure.

I produced some samples to send to DxO and will try to find them; if that fails I can repeat the procedure and post them. They tend to be largish!

Yes, you are describing the issue I was referring to. Files being saved as DNG (RAW) from DxO PureRaw/DeepPRIME technology do show magenta in highlights areas. Do you mind sharing the original RAW file from your camera and the respective DNG edited and exported by DxO Pure RAW 2 please? I will add them to the existing report and bump it up to bring this to developers attention again. I can provide an upload link if you wish to keep the files private - just let me know. Thank you.

Here is a set of examples. 406263832__6022961-ORF_DxO_DeepPRIMEHighlightsExposureadjustedinPhoto.thumb.jpg.4403ca0e574ccae5b4c7ac8538f5ece3.jpg Processing simply in Photo the one with a title Elswout, had little deterioration of the highlights and kept detail. The first is the DxO Pure Raw image, the second after adjustments to highlights and exposure in Photo. Hope this is helpful.1452305164__6022961-ORF_DxO_DeepPRIMEafterdevelopinPhotnootheradjustments.thumb.jpg.dcbd193b7b8b4f7221fa28c3bce5df8b.jpg

_6022961 Elswout mists.jpg

• Staff

@ms.fuentecillaThanks for the additional details and file. Can you attach the DNG exported from Pure RAW 2 as well please - that's the file you are actually opening in Photo after processing in Pure Raw 2, so we need it too.
Are you using a Mac computer? If so you can work around this issue setting the RAW Engine in the Develop Assistant to Apple (Core Image RAW). The Apple engine renders the DNG correctly (no magenta issues).

It is there. The titles of the images seem to have disappeared, which is confusing also to me. It is the middle one of the three images but here it is again. I had sent examples to the DxO support and they told me to be patient, they were working on it. I don't know how much companies talk to each other about such things.

No, I am using Windows 10. Mac was no good to me in my mid period computer graphic days because it couldn't handle 3D animations so I stuck with MS as there was so much research simulation work to do at that time exploring Greek sanctuary design and practice.

_6022961-ORF_DxO_DeepPRIME.dng

Edited by ms.fuentecilla
additional information

• 3 months later...

Dear @MEB,

As you seem to be following this thread, do you have any news about this "bug". I just bought Affinity Photo V2, and the problem is not solved. But now, if you don't use the Serif engine, you lose the non-destructive raw processing feature, so the workaround based on the Apple engine is not so convincing.

Cheers

Eric

The problem is  that whatever algorithm DxO uses to recover highlights gives what appears to be white but has a lower value in the green channel when opened in Photo. My fix in Photo is to desaturate magenta and mask it to the problem area. My real fix is to do raw conversions in Capture One Express. It can also handle the DxO file so there must be a fix somewhere. LibRaw has 10 clipping algorithms.

• 5 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "Develop Persona: issues (highlights rendering) with DNG generated by DxO PureRaw/DeepPRIME technology." (REF: AFP-4444) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1781".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.