You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash Importing LUTs

I have around 30,000 LUTs arranged in some 500 categories, and am trying to import them into Affinity Photo (I won't go into just how painful AP is making this process - other posts have described the issues around LUTs and their import and use in AP). I've imported around 5 or 6 thousand in about 100 categories ok, but now AP is crashing when I try to import. It doesn't crash every time, but when I go through the rigmarole of "Create new category", "Rename category", "Import", it will crash maybe every third time. I restart it and reimport the same file(s) it crashed on, and it works ok, and then crashes on a later import, which works ok the second time, only to crash on a later import,... This is very painful.

Affinity Photo 1.10.5.1342. Windows 11 x64. 64GB memory. Intel i9-9900K. Nvidia GTX 1080ti.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

I can't help with the crashing, other than to suggest that you provide one of the Crash Reports if you're getting any. If you need to know where to find them:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks. Does that let you see a Stack Trace? If so, the module calling sequence might prove useful.

The Serif staff will probably suggest some additional info they'd like to see.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Unfortunately no. Although I told VS to break on just about any exception, it doesn't catch it, so no stack trace. It does seem that, when it's about to crash, it takes longer to import the LUTs than when it doesn't crash, and I'm thinking a loop at this point (which would fit with a stack overflow). I tried to get VS to pause the process when I thought it was about to crash, to get a stack trace at that point, but either I got to it too late or VS just couldn't do it. I might try a couple more times and see if I can get any useful info.

Thanks. Out of curiosity, how big is your adjustments.propcol file?

If you don't know how to find it, this will explain: 

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

Hi RayCfrog,

Welcome to the forums :)

If possible could you provide a copy of the LUT files you are trying to import as I can't seem to recreate this issue here. If you could upload them to the following link that would be handy! 

https://www.dropbox.com/request/BjDBiLms2RBDIdBV2MKy

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi Callum, there is no individual LUT file that causes the problem. As I said, after it crashes, I can successfully import the file(s) it crashed on before.

Have you tried it after importing circa 4000 LUTs into around 150 categories? 'Coz that's my current situation. I think it's size-related, so just importing the same 20 or 30 LUTs into a couple of hundred different categories should do the same thing. I'm not sure there that much value in me sending you the 4000+ LUTs I currently have imported, and I'm not sure that would be within the terms of my licence anyway.

• Staff

Without a copy of the files it might be a while before we are able to find a solution for this issue. I have bulk imported 4300 Luts into categories of 10 each so 430 categories and still haven't seen any crashing I'm afraid. Your Luts will only be seen by a member of our development team and will be deleted once this issue has been recreated however if you would rather not provide them thats fine.

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• Staff

Hey @RayCFrog - I have started looking into this issue for you. So far I have created a few hundred categories and imported your LUTs into them and so far I have not had any issues. I will endeavour to finish the task and see if we get a reproducible crash.

There should not be a limit to the amount of LUTs we can import but it could be a memory issue somewhere. We did have some issues back when the LUTs were thumbnails but since displaying them in a list-view these issues seemingly 'went away'.

As a side note, I have logged an improvement request so that we can either drag-drop folders to automaitcally create a Category name with the LUTs or have the ability to point the app at a folder containing LUTs to create the category name as this task is somewhat labourious. 

I will report back once I am done.

You've certainly got a lot further than I did, so I don't see the value in struggling through the remainder - it's obviously not a simple capacity issue.

The files are stored locally. In terms of drives, if that makes a difference, AF is installed on my "D:" drive, not my "C:"; the .cube files are stored on my "J:" drive. All of these are local, and physically inside the PC.

If the LUTs are stored in the adjustments.propcol file, is it worth me uploading that to you to see if there's something strange happened to that?

• Staff
6 minutes ago, RayCFrog said:

If the LUTs are stored in the adjustments.propcol file, is it worth me uploading that to you to see if there's something strange happened to that?

Yes—absolutely. In fact I meant to ask for that earlier so apologies for that. I can attempt to replace my own with yours and I can continue adding and see what happens. Failing that, we may have to look at getting a crash report somewhow or even something from the event viewer.

• Staff

Thanks. I added the propcol and continued to add additional categories. After adding about 6 or 7 more the propcol was heading towards 4GB and I started to get the Not Responding message. However, the app recovered each time. This happened for the next 20 categories I added.

I am surprised that you are not getting any crash reports - is there anything in the Windows Event Viewer when you get the crash?

Faulting application name: Photo.exe, version: 1.10.5.1342, time stamp: 0x62227da7
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.22000.1, time stamp: 0x00e78ce9
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000007c648
Faulting process ID: 0x2f38
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8a1aaf125107f
Faulting application path: D:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Photo\Photo.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Report ID: 22850ce5-5994-4808-8f25-56073a6e47c6
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID: