You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to make letters transparent?

See image: I need to have letters on a white background, with an image showing through them, but masked by them. 

The goal is to create a PNG of the two letters, which have the design within them. The important thing is to end up with the outlines of the two letters.

I need to be able to move the image around within the letters to get the right composition. 

Lacking the technical terms for any of this, the explanation may be a bit vague. Hopefully it's evident what I'm going for.

NL logo 2 forum.pdf

In case what you want to do is just to let the image shine through the NL text here (?), then clip the image (the image layer possibly better converted to a pixel layer) slightly right shifted underneath the NL text (so it is clipped to that one). Then select the mesh image and size & position it to your needs.

For example ...

BTW, I've used vectors for the NL text instead of an image representation of that text characters and a pixel layer for the mesh image!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

29 minutes ago, gumbo23 said:

Thank you V.  I know nothing about vectors, but will investigate!

If you see the image attached in the response to Anto, I have another question. How do I make the white background inside the lettering transparent?

In case you have already some outline font etc. type for the "NL" text on your OS system, aka if you initially maybe typed that in as graphics text then via some selected outline style font, then you have a text shape representation where you can setup stroke & fill colors accordingly. So for example stroke=black and fill=none, which will give you a text shape form with a transparent inner fill. A graphics text  shape can be converted into plain vectors via a right click on it and "convert to curves".

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

And now where we have the NL text as vectors (see the above shown screencast), we can apply that mesh image easily to it as a fill, via clipping that mesh image to the NL text vector curves (by dragging the mesh image layer slightly right nested in below the NL curves layer).