You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adobe Photoshop PSD smart object compatible with Affinity Photo

Many mockups will work today, as basic Smart Object support was implemented in (I think) Affinity Photo 1.9. However, there's a Preference, in the General section, that you must enable to get this to work. Look for one that says "Import PSD Smart Objects where possible" (just below the one for importing PSD text as text).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 6 months later...

As Walt says, you get 'basic' support for PS Smart Objects by selecting that option. But if you try importing a PS file with a warp mesh applied to the Smart Object, you're going to be disappointed.

No, for this kind of advanced functionality you need to rely on free tools by indie developers like this one:

https://www.photopea.com

I was amazed to find that it works flawlessly.

5 hours ago, Kal said:

I was amazed to find that it works flawlessly.

Thanks for the link Kal - I've heard of photopea but never got around to trying it and discovered it has PUPPETWARP not quite as good as photoshops as you don't seem to be able to rotate around joint points, but a real life saver for some quick puppet warping without having to boot into Mojave to use Photoshop CS5s puppet warp

Cheer's boss 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

7 hours ago, Kal said:

Comme le dit Walt, vous obtenez une prise en charge «de base» des objets intelligents PS en sélectionnant cette option. Mais si vous essayez d'importer un fichier PS avec un maillage de chaîne appliqué à l'objet intelligent, vous allez être déçu.

Non, pour ce type de fonctionnalité avancée, vous devez vous fier aux outils gratuits de développeurs indépendants comme celui-ci:

J'ai été étonné de constater que cela fonctionne parfaitement.

Hi. I'm not a fan of this software, but it would be nice if Affinity Photo pushed more on PSD control with Photoshop Smart Objects, because when saving, it's impossible to keep in PSD.

It must be metered in Affinity format. That's a shame.

12 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Thanks for the link Kal - I've heard of photopea but never got around to trying it and discovered it has PUPPETWARP not quite as good as photoshops as you don't seem to be able to rotate around joint points, but a real life saver for some quick puppet warping without having to boot into Mojave to use Photoshop CS5s puppet warp

No worries! I was only using Photopea to load old mockups I had previously created in Photoshop. I just needed to replace the original artwork without losing the mesh warps—something neither Affinity Photo or Photoshop Elements could do. (Photoshop Elements could easily do it if Adobe wanted it to, but of course they don't. You can get there with a commercial plugin, but the whole thing feels clunky, whereas Photopea is surprisingly smooth for a web app.)