You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

INCREDIBLY DISTURBING BUG

Dear Affinity forum members,

I have been working with Affinity Photo & Designer for years and have always been more than happy with your systems but since a few days I have had an extremely disturbing problem with Affinity Photo.

I'm using the program as usual but every 15-30 seconds my mouse transforms to the loading circle for 5-10 seconds as if my computer was needing to think about it but it does it for literally anything. 

From selecting a layer to minimizing a window, to change a color, etc. It's clear my computer can handle it as I'm not doing anything abnormally heavy and am running on a MacBook Pro 14" 2021 with the Apple M1 Pro chip.

Another point that proves this is a bug is that sometimes it suddenly goes away and works fine for 30 minutes to an hour and then suddenly comes back. 

Yesterday I figured out that Affinity Designer does not have this issue so I'm just using that to edit all my files and just switch when I need to use one of the features unique to Affinity Photo to do it in a painfully slow manner.

Attached you'll find a quick example of what I mean.

Please tell me there is a solution to this issue as I'm very close to becoming insane... 😅

PS: I've already checked for updates & have even deleted & reinstalled Affinity Photo on my computer. I've also checked for updates on my computer, that is also running the latest version of MacOS Monterey (12.4)

Best regards,
DVB

HW Acceleration is off? In both application?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• Staff

Hi @Pikzels, this is the automatic brightness adjustment issue—please see https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/152108-m1-mac-monterey-affinity-photo-etc-now-has-the-wheel-of-death-quite-a-lot/page/2/#comments and I also did a video demonstrating how to fix it here:

Affinity Designer is exempt from the issue because by default it still uses an OpenGL view. The issue is with the Metal view used in Affinity Photo (querying the maximum EDR/HDR brightness for the 32-bit preview panel). Disabling "Automatically adjust brightness" in the macOS system preferences will fix the issue. Hope that helps!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials