You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Migrating in Affinity Photo an Adobe Photoshop procedure

1 hour ago, wonderings said:

comparing your file to a duo tone made in Photoshop with the OP's RGB values does look significantly different. While yours on sight looks better to me, who knows what the client is after in terms of look and feel. Attached is a screen shot comparing the 2. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 1.00.10 PM.png

Very brief scan of thread but looks like different blending mode. Maybe use "Lighten" on the filter to keep it going super dark (with the darker blue in the right image used as darker hue)? Just a thought.

I really liked the use of Infer LUT, as suggested by @Pšenda, and he notes that it might be wise to get as close to the Photoshop black and white conversion as possible. Since you (kindly) provided photos of both intermediate steps - the black and white conversion as well as the blue duotone result - I figured that I could just use Infer LUT twice. In other words, create an inferred LUT to get from the color to the black and white conversion, and a second inferred LUT to get from the black and white to the blue duotone.

Once I did that, I got a result that (I believe) is indistinguishable from the original Photoshop version. I am including an .afmacro file that automates the process, as well as the LUT category containing the two inferred LUT's. I'm not really sure that you will need to import the LUT's, as I believe the values are stored within the macro. Nevertheless, i include them for completeness (and as a just-in-case).

Blue Colorize with LUT's.afmacro Blue Colorize with LUT's.afluts

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

16 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Did you read the opening post?

Yes, but because someone has moved to different software it does not mean you will always be able to accomplish what you could do before. So sometimes you need to hold on to the software that worked and got the job done before, despite wanting to move away. Looks like in this case though a solution was found that matched the duotone done in Photoshop which is great and allows the OP to continue on and not need to add an Adobe subscription for one particular task. 

1 hour ago, wonderings said:

Yes, but because someone has moved to different software it does not mean you will always be able to accomplish what you could do before. So sometimes you need to hold on to the software that worked and got the job done before, despite wanting to move away. Looks like in this case though a solution was found that matched the duotone done in Photoshop which is great and allows the OP to continue on and not need to add an Adobe subscription for one particular task. 

Well in my situation I took nearly 2 years to evaluate Affinity vs. Adobe, and come to the conclusion that we could move to Affinity. It was only 2 weeks ago that my client came with this change in their brand book.

But I am definitely happy with the contribution of this group. Thank you all very much.

Long life to Affinity!

Edited by Thierry Lay