You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Pages not reopening

I'm using an  iMac with Monterey 12.4 and I am having a problem with Publisher pages not reopening in a timely fashion, some not at all. I says  loading document but hours later nothing has happened. All pages are created the same way. The pages will however open in Designer without delay every time.

Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 5.18.10 PM.png

• Staff

Hi @Miltonc

Could you attach the file in question so we can try to replicate this issue. I can send you a private upload link if you prefer. 
Can you also try unchecking Metal Compute Acceleration under Preferences > Performance and seeing if this helps. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have the EXCACT same issue!

It's NOT a file issue - My colleague can open the file without issues. I can't open older files either. I cant even create a NEW file!

My file is only 2,7 mb - all pictures are linked.

• I have tried deleting and reinstalling Publisher two times without resolving the issue.
  • I have restarted my mac several times as well - no use.
  • I have tried to adjust all rendering methods and HW accel. (OpenGL, +basic, Software and Metal) - no use.
  • I have adjusted cache size - no use.
Edited by Mikkel Noe
Added additional information

4 hours ago, Mikkel Noe said:

I have the EXCACT same issue! (...) I cant even create a NEW file!

"EXCACT", and in capitals? – Does this mean, APub's Toolbar displays the message "Loading 1 document" as mentioned in the initial post of this thread to you even for NEW documents?

Do your APub user library folders (*) "autosave" and "temp" contain any files when APub is not running? If yes, delete or move them outside your library folder and try APub again. (*) ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher/

Have you tried to reset APub to factory defaults? If not, it can be worth a trial, too. Launch APub with the CTRL key pressed + choose up to all reset options from the following dialog.

Note that re-installing would not necessarily change library folders / overwrite existing temp files + preferences. So for a clean Affinity installation you would first delete all related folders (which aren't all obvious and located in various parent folders, as e.g. in Caches, Group Containers, Saved Application State, …)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

When trying to create new documents Affinity doesn't say 'Loading 1 document'... It just hangs and keeps on with the beach ball of death...

I have tried resetting to factory defaults several times.
I have tried flushing my old install with AppCleaner (to get rid of temp files, preferences etc)
I don't have any files in my App Support folder

I can install Affinity Publisher on my work PC and my Mac Mini and open the file in milliseconds, but somehow my the installation on my MacBook Pro is utterly corrupted... And I'm getting desperate (hence the capitals)

Though your issue has one aspect in common with this thread (APub does not open a document) it does not sound like being "exactly" or "the same" issue or culprit, especially since for you all documents appear to be affected, even any new included.

– What macOS / what APub version are you using on the affected mac?
– Can't you open .afpub files only – or all file types APub should open? How about .JPG from the finder via right-click –> Open with –> APub ?
– In case you have AD or APhoto installed: Can they open one of the affected documents?

– I wonder whether APub is fully launching at all without opening a document?
––– If yes, did any document / a currently affected document ever work on this computer / this configuration?
––––– If yes, did you change (install, update, re-configure) any system related software (Apple or 3rd party), or update Affinity since then?

– If you boot this mac in Safe mode (hold shift until the start sound): Do you still get this issue(s) in APub? (– aside the fact that everything feels slow in this mode)

Thanks for your input!

I can't open any kinds of documents - not just .apub but all documents can be opened on other installation

It seems like Publisher IS fully launching - I can open preferences etc... (and have tried with any combination of hw acceleration, software rendering, lowering/raising cache)

I have tried installing a trial version of Designer and on this Mac it won't open any apub files either (also just hangs) whereas files open fine on installation on my Mini.

The OS and Publisher version are the same : Monterey 12.5 and Publisher 1.10.5

Last night the documents worked fine - today they don't and I have installed or updated nothing on my mac in that interval.

SOLVED! I have a two external monitor setup and used to extend my desktop (and keep my mac open).

This morning to save a bit of space on my physical desktop I closed the Mac and just used the two monitors.
THAT somehow keeps Affinity Publisher (and Designer) from opening files. 

Sorry to the OP for hijacking this thread for an issue that seemed the same but probably wasn't 🙂

THANK YOU Thomaso for pushing me towards the solution 🙂 (safe mode running just on the native monitor)

Edited by Mikkel Noe

17 hours ago, Mikkel Noe said:

I closed the Mac and just used the two monitors.
THAT somehow keeps Affinity Publisher (and Designer) from opening files. 

Thanks for your feedback + problem solution.

For Affinity the internal macbook screen is the main monitor. Thus all documents, new included, get opened in a window on that screen – regardless of a possibly existing document window on an external screen.

To make sure the internal screen isn't switched off (not 'seen' by Affinity) you could try various settings in macOS concerning the behaviour when the lid gets closed, respectively on what monitors the main menu bar gets displayed (I haven't tried but possibly it helps already to make macOS display its main menu bar on every monitor?)