You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Folks and a very Merry Xmas to you all,

I'm after some help again for a change. I have a project I have been working on and I now need to submit it to a specific website. Here is the issue...

The project was created with the original document being set up as A4 size (Not sure why I picked this size but I did), I have now found out that my design needs to be submitted firstly in .jpeg format but also I am restricted to submitted it in the following dimensions... Width - 900px Height - 500px. I have tried simply set up a new project with those dimensions and then just drag my project into it and select my whole design and re-size it using the hold down shift and grab the top corner method but this totally throws my design out. The text won't re-size and some of the brushstrokes are still way to big. 

Is there are easier way? I am not familiar at all with the export persona but was wondering if there was a way I could use that? Any ideas folks?

Mark

I am definitely no expert, so don't rely upon my suggestions. First under the file menu of both Designer and Photo, I believe there is an export option. This allows you to set an output file format, and change dimensions. So you could keep your original file and export a jpg at the size you need. Not certain if your aspect ratio is the same or not. In Photo there is also an option to resize your document in the document menu drop down. This will resize your document and you can export it either using file export, or the export persona. Lastly, if you start a new document at the proper size, copy your existing document to the clipboard, and select paste without format from the edit menu, that works just like the place image command, you can then select that as an object and resize. I do not claim any of these to be acceptable methods in your case, but you can try them and see how they work. Again, your aspect ratio may require you to adjust sizes, or in the case of paste without format, or place image, to cut off some of the original file.

Thanks for coming back to me Crabtree,

I have tried your suggestions but no joy. Each time I resize the image my stroke sizes alter (or don't alter as the case may be) and so does one of the shapes within the design (A rounded corner triangle). Not sure why this would be, I am still total newbie to all this really. Think I may just have to start the whole design again but start with the correct dimensions this time, annoying  :(

Cheers

Mark

mvdarbs,

i guess you are working with designer, which i don't have (and don't know), but in photo i would follow the following steps, assuming that designer implements the same options as photo does:

1) document -> resize canvas

1-a ) click on the lock and change the height so that the ratio between height and base equals 900/500

1-b ) click on the central dot in the position square, so that the height increment is the same above and below the original canvas

1-c ) click on apply

2) flood-fill the empty canvas portions with the background color

3) document -> resize document (setting 900 as height should automatically set the width to 500

maybe designer's menus are not identical to photo's, but maybe it has similar commands and options.

hth

take care,

stefano

Hi Mvdarbs,

at first, please be aware, that the aspect ratio of A4 is different from 9 x 5. It is roughly 9 x 6.36. So you will never be able to rescale your document to the intended size of 900 x 500 pixels without distorting the design. So the first issue to consider is, whether the values that are mentioned on the web site indicate the maximum pixel size or the exact pixel size of the design that is to be submitted.

• If the first, you could use crabtrem’s method and export your design using File > Export (see my first screen shot below). 
  • If the second, I fear you will have to redo your design from ground up. Before resizing your objects, make sure to tick Scale with object for strokes and effects, as crabtrem already suggested (see my second screen shot below).

Hope that helps …  :)

Alex

post-1198-0-80003400-1451257801_thumb.png

post-1198-0-82536100-1451257806_thumb.png

Hi Guys, 

I managed to sort it. I just had to make sure that all the strokes had Scale with object selected like you suggested Alex. The only thing that is still causing me a slight issue is that the text is not scaling with the rest of the object?!?

Mark

• 4 months later...

Here's my solution to resizing to a particular pixel size.  Open the photo then chose crop tool.  Go to tool bar and change mode from unrestrained to custom ratio.  I wanted a 640x960 for my iTouch so typed in a radio of 64x96.  (On drop down menu click on add preset if you want to use that ratio regularly).  Adjust grid to the photo to capture the bit that you want.  Go to File>Export and chose Jpeg, and type in the size of jpeg that you want, in my case 640 - 960 populates itself because of the aspect ratio.  At this point you can also choose a size larger than the original photo without changing the canvas size.  Click on Export and you have your photo at the exact pixel size you want.