You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crop canvas from selection

This is probably an easy one, but I haven’t been able to figure it out: I adjusted my photo to show only the portion of the canvas I want by using a mask, and now I have a cropped portion of my image over a transparent background. After I mess around some more with adjustments, I want to save a jpg-copy to use elsewhere that only includes my cropped image and does away with the transparent background.

Unfortunatly, I can't figure out how to do that ...

Bouns question: In order to be more flexible with the selection, I'd like to have a vector mask for a layer that I can non-destructivley resize. Any chances?

Thanks,

Ben

• Staff

Hi Ben.

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Assuming you have the mask nested inside the image layer (if it's above, drag it over the image's thumbnail layer), right-click on the image layer in the Layers panel (should select both the image and mask) and select Rasterise, then go to menu Document ▸ Clip Canvas to get rid off the transparent area.

Bonus answer: draw a rectangle (or another shape) with the Rectangle tool, then drag it over the image's thumbnail in the Layers panel (you should line a blue vertical line appear near the thumbnail). If everything goes right you should see a small crop icon over the rectangle thumbnail. To adjust the rectangle click on its thumbnail in the Layers panel and drag the handles on canvas. To adjust the image without moving the rectangle (mask), make sure the Move Tool is selected, click on the image layer in the layers panel (both image and mask will be selected) then go to the context toolbar and check Lock Children (which is the mask in this case). You can now move the image freely on canvas.

Hi Meb!

Thanks for the quick answer - I managed to get this done, nice! I still don’t fully understand the "Clip Canvas" command, though, sometimes it works, sometimes it does nothing. I am guessing that it clips the canvas according to the outermost elements it can find. So I have a pixel layer (my image) that is masked as described, and above it some adjustment layers. If I select the pixel layer and select "Clip Canvas", nothing happens, but if I flatten all visible layers, it works. Does that mean that the adjustment layers' masks determine the size that the canvas will be clipped to, and since they are all white, nothing happens?

Thanks,

Ben

• 11 months later...