You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher 1.10.5 Swatch palette problems:

Swatch palette problems:
Affinity Publisher 1.10.5 / Mac Os Monterey 12.4 MacBook Pro 14".
- the feature Create palette from document does not work.
  Publisher always starts the document with this unspeakable grey palette

- when creating a "Global Colour" it cannot automatically take the CMYK mode as name

- i can not click on several colours together

- there is no replacement suggestion when deleting a colour

Suggestion:
I would only allow "Global Colour" the other idea with the fill only leads to errors

52 minutes ago, Red Al said:

the feature Create palette from document does not work.

I think it works, if I remember correctly,but you need to select the palette that it created. The selection if the palette isn't automatic.

52 minutes ago, Red Al said:

Suggestion:
I would only allow "Global Colour" the other idea with the fill only leads to errors

Suggestions need to be posted in a different section of the forums: Feature Requests and Suggestions

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 7/17/2022 at 12:20 AM, Red Al said:

You can create a custom order for the palettes, though it's a bit cumbersome:

1. rename each palette,
2. export every palette,
3. delete all palettes from the Swatches Panel,
4. import the wanted palettes in the desired order. The first imported palette becomes the one for application launch, the last imported palette gets listed at the end.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2022 at 2:16 PM, thomaso said:

You can create a custom order for the palettes, though it's a bit cumbersome:
Thank you for explaining, but in my Affinity Publisher Version 1.10.5 for MacBook Pro M1, macOS Monterey 12.5.1
it is not possible to delete the system-, dokument-, etc.- color paletts.

1. rename each palette,
(is not possible only the already self created palett)

2. export every palette,
(possible)

3. delete all palettes from the Swatches Panel,
(possible only with self created paletts)

4. import the wanted palettes in the desired order. The first imported palette becomes the one for application launch, the last imported palette gets listed at the end.
(possible but immediately the stupid grey will be in the first row)

*** ANY NEW SUGESTIONS FOR THIS PROBLEM (create a custom order for the color palettes)? ***

8 hours ago, Red Al said:

it is not possible to delete the system-, dokument-, etc.- color paletts. (...)

*** ANY NEW SUGESTIONS FOR THIS PROBLEM (create a custom order for the color palettes)? ***

What makes you think so? – I am able to export + delete every Affinity application palette & all document palettes via the burger menu in the swatches panel. 1838963208_deletepalette.jpg.2df67ab60f83ba822c8a96e8e37b1c31.jpg

I had no problems to create the Application Palettes (with Affinity icon) as wanted, with the recipe described above, including the deletion of the default Affinity Application palettes. You even can theoretically (neither necessary, useful nor recommended) delete System Palettes (which Affinity takes from a system folder of your operating system).

This is my result in APub, the app opens with my preferred "1 _ cmyk" palette in the swatches panel.

190710256_customApplicationPalettes.jpg.836e1b1fa56419f10aa974269d022fc7.jpg

Thanks for the reply, but as I described already, in my Affinity Publisher version 1.10.5 for MacBook Pro M1,
macOS Monterey 12.5.1 it is not possible to delete the system-, document-, etc-. color palettes.

I can create a new one and delete it, but the system-, document-, etc-. palettes cannot be renamed. Palettes can neither be renamed nor deleted,
even if the command is visible - it cannot be executed. It is a bug of Affinity

Anyway the color management is much too complicated, SERIF would have to orient itself more to the competitor InDesign, too many things are not yet implementable or too complicated created.
An update is missing, especially for the new processors M1.

In order to come still possibly to a solution I place now still another constructive question:
If I would like to delete the "Affinity Palettes" in my system, where are they located (MacBook Pro M1, macOS Monterey 12.5.1)

Thanks and greetings...

6 hours ago, Red Al said:

Palettes can neither be renamed nor deleted,
even if the command is visible - it cannot be executed.

What do you mean by "visible" and by "can not be executed"? What happens if you select one of this commands? Does it get highlighted – or is it grayed-out?

To me they are always visible but as long no according palette was selected before unfolding the menu these commands are grayed-out and can't get selected:

720052010_palettegrayedoutcommands.jpg.8f32de46d116997ebd57c58919ea9059.jpg

If you create a custom Application palette: Are you able to define this as default palette via this command:

124475602_palettesetDefault.jpg.ec59360300e76c7877e4238d9b83845e.jpg

6 hours ago, Red Al said:

If I would like to delete the "Affinity Palettes" in my system, where are they located (MacBook Pro M1, macOS Monterey 12.5.1)

They seem to get stored in a file "fills.propcol".
Depending on your macOS and your used Affinity / App Store the file path may vary but you should be able to find the folder "user" inside an Affinity system folder in respectively the file in your user library:
~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher/user/fills.propcol