You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Removing raster from a photo

Did you do the scan yourself? If so, it might help scanning the image four times, rotated by 90° each time. Then merge the stack of images. This might give an easier starting point for editing as the light on the "bumps" will be from different angles with each scan rather than fiddling with the FFT denoise filter in first place.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

If you don't have the original you could try using a median blur, then sharpen (High Pass should work well). To get rid of the purple text, convert to B&W, use the Clone and Inpaint tools to tidy up as many marks etc as possible, then add slight Clarity sharpening. Finally add a Recolour and/or Lens filter adjustment to restore the colour. (Playing around with Levels adjustments might also help.)
(This is by no means a definitive way to tidy up the picture, but, hopefully, it may be a starting point for you. I'm sure other people will have other ways of doing it.)

0031b.png.b44294a445b5632619b0f40833c7907d.png

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

One way for removing the raster would be, to try out the FFT Denoise filter, see therefor ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

This is not a raster but the actual embossed finish of the photo paper. I think the best way would be to do as @Andy05 suggested. Get the light from Top, Top Right, Right, etc all around the compass. So no you have 8 images, do a File > New Stack... and let the application even out the light on the edges of the bumps.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I ended up scanning the image 4 times with 90 degrees rotation. Then I stacked them and used the 'mean' setting. Next I used the Frequency Separation and cleaned up the texture. Using clone, inpaint and heal I was able to remove the text and some other imperfections. I'm quite happy with the result.

Thanks again :)

0031-ret-2000px.jpg

• 1 month later...

Oh, nothing too special. I used different settings in a few online AI photo enhancers, combined outputs of those websites in Affinity layers, played with blend modes to add more texture, did some inpainting, manual eye correction (dodge and burn brush tools) and feeded the output again in those photo enchancers. :)

you can try remini web and vance ai. I used online watermark removal tools to remove the remini watermark until I found out that if you take a subscription you have one week to use it (and cancel the subscription). I used multiple gmail accounts I have to get a free credits with vance ai. I think I pushed the image about 8 times total with manual corrections through those websites. If I had more time I could work on her clothing and ear jewelry. Maybe later.

With this post my final result for now.

lady6blob9.jpg