You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

changing background colour

hello, im trying to change the background colour from white to tan without losing the vector or compromising the logo or colours in the logo.

i have been trying to figure this out for days and its really hurting my brain.

im considering even photoshop editing the file but i dont have nor do i have any experience with any other program.

can anyone help me out with this please?

artwork is in this link :

https://we.tl/t-rZWyL0ZY3y

TCT: Is it possible for you to attach the document directly to this thread rather than using a link to somewhere else?
Some users don’t like clicking on what look like 'random' links and some cloud storage places ask for permissions/logins that some people might not want to accept.
Best to attach things directly if possible, and you might get more answers if you do.

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

TCT: Is it possible for you to attach the document directly to this thread rather than using a link to somewhere else?
Some users don’t like clicking on what look like 'random' links and some cloud storage places ask for permissions/logins that some people might not want to accept.
Best to attach things directly if possible, and you might get more answers if you do.

how do i do that?

6 hours ago, anto said:

Do next steps.

1. Create rectangle for border. Create group of all elements beside top and bottom.

cc1.JPG.e74d17e47447b7ca70852965a9aaa361.JPG

2. Change blend mode of top layer to Normal

cc2.JPG.0e4d1a83a87995b0a2fbaf7ffd3ef253.JPG

3. Move your group like in image

cc3.JPG.e97bb70733751fa6f76c74d565cd7566.JPG

4. Change color of your background as you like - gradient or solid.

cc4.JPG.435370c66404e9d0ab30e157a4e64e7d.JPG

i dont understand the "create rectangle for border" step

5 minutes ago, TCT said:

how do i do that?

When you open the ‘edit box’ to reply (or start a thread) there will be a “Drag files here to attach, or choose files…” area at the bottom of the ‘edit box’. You can drag or attach files as necessary (some large images/files may give a “-220 error”.)

I would place another rectangle with the tan color on top of everything and then use Multiply blend mode. That will naturally affect a bit the colors of rainbow, as well, but as it is a spectrum, the effect is hardly noticeable.

The problem with other approaches is that e.g. using the drawing lines as a mask (and limiting the coloring effect of the rainbow without using blending modes), which works well while staying in Designer (or other Affinity apps), will cause rasterization at export time. Clipping the rainbow image "into" the drawing lines, which would not cause rasterization, would require expanding the strokes into closed curves, which in turn would require much tidying (fixing the clipping holes cause by the operation).

P Girls Hangtag Front_quickfix.afdesign

P Girls Hangtag Front_quickfix.pdf

To be honest, I'm afraid we bogged down to details in this topic. Why not simply do the following:

1. Open the Layer 1 group.

2. delete the white oval curve layer that is not needed and remove the fill of the two circle curves that are disturbing, or delete them if they are not needed too.

3. Then select all layers in the Layer 1 group, go to the Layers menu and click on Expand Strokes. This will turn the curves, that are only contours at the moment, into vector shapes. That means that the contours of the strokes will become the vector curves (the edges of the shapes) and the strokes will become the fill of the shapes.

4. After that, go to the Geometry options (Boolean) on top right of the GUI and click on Add ( the left button with the +-Symbol).

Now all curves inside the Layer 1 group should become one layer/shape.

5. Now select this layer and the text layers too (possibly the Registered Trademark Sign must be added too) and repeat the last step to add the text to that layer. Be aware that the text will be converted into curves and will no longer be editable. But that must not be a problem if you keep a backup of your source file.

Now the whole relevant content of your document should be one vector shape. The only thing left is to fill the shape with the Rainbow Gradient and to change the background colour.

6a. For the Rainbow Gradient, there are two options: Simply drag the layer with the gradient to the bottom right of the shape layer to nest it into the shape.

6b. The alternative is to fill the shape with the Fill Tool. In this case you will have to create a new gradient.

7.  Fill the rectangle at the bottom of the layer stack with the colour you like.

If there are layers that are not needed (I don't think so), they can be deleted now. The advantage of this workflow should be that the result is a pure, clean vector graphic with nothing that needs to be rasterized (at least if I didn't forget something or made a mistake somewhere).

Here's a version without multiplying cover trick (which, too, has the benefit of keeping everything in vector format, but does of course result in slight color change of the rainbow).

I initially tried the expand + add / merge method but discarded it as it causes artifacts. But later I realized that there is no need to try to make the expanded shapes as one object as you can apply a single gradient fill across multiple objects (basically to bounding box selection). Expanding the strokes did not seem to cause but one artifact so this method seems to be workable.

Instead of using the bitmap version of the gradient, I created a gradient swatch and applied it as a fill for a rectangle. I also placed the patch fills that you had in the drawing on top and assigned them the background global color (called "Tan" in the document palette).

I am not sure if this has any benefit compared to the "quickfix" version but at least it shows an alternative. Boolean operations are pretty buggy in Affinity apps so whenever applied to complex object groups, the results require careful examination for possible artifacts.

P Girls Hangtag Front_fixed.afdesign

P Girls Hangtag Front_fixed.pdf

21 minutes ago, lacerto said:

...Boolean operations are pretty buggy in Affinity apps...

Yes, I recently stumbled upon a problem that possibly TCT will stumble upon too: If you have a font with squiggly letters that overlap each other in your text, and you convert it to curves and Add them to become one curve, the holes in some characters (is "hallmarks" the right word for it? In Germany we call it "Punzen") get filled. I really suffered about it, but I found a simple solution on this forum. You only need to hold the Alt-key while you click "Add" and the "Punzen" will stay open. By the way, "Punzen" is also a very dirty word in German, especially in Bavaria.

24 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

You only need to hold the Alt-key while you click "Add" and the "Punzen" will stay open.

Yes, creating compound shapes. They are a great feature; often you can also afterwards convert them to curves to basically do the same that you would with simple Boolean operation, so creating a compound + converting to curves is often a valid workaround (more or less literally) whenever a plain Boolean operation fails. Boolean operations may cause complex object constructions even when they work as expected and sometimes extra tools like VectorFirstAid (in context of Illustrator) are welcome to help sort them out.

Yes, it's a really interesting feature. But after checking it a little out, I'm not sure if it is really a solution for the special problem I was talking about in all cases. However, I think it should also work without it. But there seems to exist a really annoying bug, that should be fixed soon, I think. Surprisingly this problem only seems to happen to text that was converted to curves. It doesn't happen to normal curves or shapes, as far as I see. I didn't know that there is a difference between curves, that formerly were text, and usual curves.

1 hour ago, iconoclast said:

Surprisingly this problem only seems to happen to text that was converted to curves.

Interesting, have you posted demonstration of this on the forum? It could be useful to find out if there is some common denominator in fonts in context of which this happens.

2 minutes ago, lacerto said:

Interesting, have you posted demonstration of this on the forum? It could be useful to find out if there is some common denominator in fonts in context of which this happens.

I assumed that it is a well known issue, as I found this compound-solution for it on the forum. But maybe I should investigate if it really is and if there already is a bug report. Possibly it will work better in Publisher, because it is a text-related issue only. Will have an eye on it.

Ah, I found a solution for this text-problem. If this happens after you added some letters to each other, you converted to curves before, simply go to the menu Layers > Fill Mode > Alternate (Even/Odd). This opens the holes in the letters. So, as it seems, it is not a bug. But I still don't know why it only happens to converted text.

4 hours ago, iconoclast said:

the holes in some characters (is "hallmarks" the right word for it? In Germany we call it "Punzen")

Interessant, dass bei diesem vermutlich urspünglich deutschen Fachbegriff im Englischen mehr differenziert wird als im Deutschen:  Counter (o), Eye (e)

1690247983_TypoCharTermsBuchstabenformenD-Eng.jpg.344bfcc6fa0f7b25e7c5680953cd59aa.jpg

EDIT:
hier kannst du die Suche nach Fachbereich Druck/Typo begrenzen. https://www.dict.cc/?s=subject%3Aprint+punze
dict.cc nennt hier aber "eye" nicht. Vielleicht ist es eine umgangssprachliche Version von "Counter"?

Edited by thomaso

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

4 hours ago, lacerto said:

Here's a version without multiplying cover trick (which, too, has the benefit of keeping everything in vector format, but does of course result in slight color change of the rainbow).

I initially tried the expand + add / merge method but discarded it as it causes artifacts. But later I realized that there is no need to try to make the expanded shapes as one object as you can apply a single gradient fill across multiple objects (basically to bounding box selection). Expanding the strokes did not seem to cause but one artifact so this method seems to be workable.

Instead of using the bitmap version of the gradient, I created a gradient swatch and applied it as a fill for a rectangle. I also placed the patch fills that you had in the drawing on top and assigned them the background global color (called "Tan" in the document palette).

I am not sure if this has any benefit compared to the "quickfix" version but at least it shows an alternative. Boolean operations are pretty buggy in Affinity apps so whenever applied to complex object groups, the results require careful examination for possible artifacts.

P Girls Hangtag Front_fixed.afdesign

P Girls Hangtag Front_fixed.pdf 229.8 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you so so so much for figuring this out for me. this literally has gone on for a solid week. I am forever grateful for your help and would love to pay you for your time and effort through paypal or any secure online payment system.

could you please give me a step by step guide of what exactly you did so i fully understand please. I have the same artwork done but its completed with two boys that I need to attain the same results with and am having the same issues.

P Boys Hangtag Front (1).afdesign

25 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Interessant, dass bei diesem vermutlich urspünglich deutschen Fachbegriff im Englischen mehr differenziert wird als im Deutschen:  Counter (o), Eye (e)

1690247983_TypoCharTermsBuchstabenformenD-Eng.jpg.344bfcc6fa0f7b25e7c5680953cd59aa.jpg

Ah, interessant! Und wie ist das bei Großbuchstaben? Gibt es da wiederum separate Benennungen?

Ich habe übrigens mal meinen Typo-Lehrer ziemlich in Verlegenheit gebracht, der Bayer war, als ich ihn fragte was denn dieses bayrische Wort bedeute, wie z.B. in "Du oide Punzen!". Ich hatte natürlich ein bis zwei Vermutungen, wusste es aber wirklich nicht. Daraufhin hat er nur pikiert geschwiegen und das Thema gewechselt. Die Deutschen sind in diesen Dingen vielleicht traditionell ein bisschen grobschlächtiger veranlagt als die Engländer. Da gäbe es ja z.B. auch noch das "Hurenkind", das aber, glaube ich, auch in Deutschland mittlerweile weitgehend der political correctness zum Opfer gefallen ist. Vielleicht ist auch das ein Grund für die differenzierteren englischen Fachbegriffe.

Warum denkst du, die Begriffe sind für Großbuchstaben andere?

Ich habe bis 30 J. in Bayern gelebt und "Punze" nie als Schimpfwort gehört. Aber wiki erwähnt es als vulgär für "Vulva". – Wie heißen denn "Hurenkind" und "Schusterjunge" heute undiskriminierend? Die hier genannte "Witwe" macht es ja nicht besser, auch im Engl. nicht.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

6 hours ago, iconoclast said:

To be honest, I'm afraid we bogged down to details in this topic. Why not simply do the following:

1. Open the Layer 1 group.

2. delete the white oval curve layer that is not needed and remove the fill of the two circle curves that are disturbing, or delete them if they are not needed too.

3. Then select all layers in the Layer 1 group, go to the Layers menu and click on Expand Strokes. This will turn the curves, that are only contours at the moment, into vector shapes. That means that the contours of the strokes will become the vector curves (the edges of the shapes) and the strokes will become the fill of the shapes.

4. After that, go to the Geometry options (Boolean) on top right of the GUI and click on Add ( the left button with the +-Symbol).

Now all curves inside the Layer 1 group should become one layer/shape.

5. Now select this layer and the text layers too (possibly the Registered Trademark Sign must be added too) and repeat the last step to add the text to that layer. Be aware that the text will be converted into curves and will no longer be editable. But that must not be a problem if you keep a backup of your source file.

Now the whole relevant content of your document should be one vector shape. The only thing left is to fill the shape with the Rainbow Gradient and to change the background colour.

6a. For the Rainbow Gradient, there are two options: Simply drag the layer with the gradient to the bottom right of the shape layer to nest it into the shape.

6b. The alternative is to fill the shape with the Fill Tool. In this case you will have to create a new gradient.

7.  Fill the rectangle at the bottom of the layer stack with the colour you like.

If there are layers that are not needed (I don't think so), they can be deleted now. The advantage of this workflow should be that the result is a pure, clean vector graphic with nothing that needs to be rasterized (at least if I didn't forget something or made a mistake somewhere).

when i follow these instructions the geometry option to add does not show up

19 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Warum denkst du, die Begriffe sind für Großbuchstaben andere?

Warum nicht? Mir leuchtet schon die Notwendigkeit der Unterscheidung zwischen der "o"-Punze und der "e"-Punze nicht ganz ein (obwohl ich das Wort "Auge" in dem Zusammenhang auch im Deutschen schon gehört habe und die Punze im "e" natürlich grob Augenform hat. Aber wozu die Unterscheidung? Und wie ist das z.B. beim kleinen "a" oder dem "g", das ja, je nach Font, auch schonmal zwei verschiedene Punzen hat? Gibt es dafür besondere Namen oder sind das alles "counter" und "eyes"? Beim "a" würde ich auf "Eye" tippen, beim "g" vielleicht auf beides?

Ich habe bis 30 J. in Bayern gelebt und "Punze" nie als Schimpfwort gehört. Aber wiki erwähnt es als vulgär für "Vulva". – Wie heißen denn "Hurenkind" und "Schusterjunge" heute undiskriminierend? Die hier genannte "Witwe" macht es ja nicht besser, auch im Engl. nicht.

Ich kenne dieses "Du oide Punzen" auch nur aus dem Fernsehen. Wo genau ich das da gehört habe weiß ich aber nicht mehr. Meinem Typo-Lehrer schien das Schimpfwort aber geläufig zu sein. Ursprünglich stammt das Wort, soweit ich weiß, aus der Metallbearbeitung und bedeutet eigentlich schlicht soviel wie "Loch".

Über die Neubenennung von "Schusterjunge" und "Hurenkind" habe ich vor längerer Zeit mal was gelesen, weiß aber nicht mehr wo. Kann sein, dass es in der Wikipedia war. Vielleicht auch in einem meiner Fachbücher. Keine Ahnung. Ich habe die Begriffe in den letzten Jahren nicht unbedingt gebraucht, daher sind mir auch die Alternativen nicht geläufig. "Zwiebelfisch" ist aber, meines Wissens, gleich geblieben.