You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can not do simple shape subtraction

Various issues have been reported with the Geometry functions – just try a forum search for subtract problem .

(Sometimes you can fix problems like this by changing the Fill Mode to Winding (menu “Layer → Fill Mode → Winding (Non-Zero)” but that doesn’t work here.)

I’ve tried various ‘workarounds’ to get your design to subtract properly but I’ve yet to find one that works; I always end up with little ‘spikes’ at the bottom-left/right-corners of the upper shape.

32 minutes ago, Murfee said:

have you tried holding the alt/option key when doing the subtract? this creates a compound and seems to work

Nice catch.
A quick menu “Layer → Convert To Curves” will then produce the non-compound version.
Then menu “Layer → Geometry → Separate Curves” gives us two Curve layers, which was what was originally wanted (I assume).

Another way: Use the Segment Tool instead. Duplicate. Rotate one through 180 deg, then adjust the gap between the two to whatever you want. 

(You simply create two segments to start with, which is the same as doing it in the OP. If you want to end up with just one shape, add the two segments together.) 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad