You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Question about PDF metadata and preset - Affinity Publisher WIN

Hello,

I usually create PDF files with Affinity Publisher for Windows,

these files are usually made up of text, imported SVG and PDF files.

There are no images, the file will be then shared both digitally and printed (at home).

I usually opt for the first preset, "PDF (for print)".

Is it ok?

In addition, is there a way to put metadata into the file when exporting? (I mean author and title of PDF).

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, soundcard22 said:

is there a way to put metadata into the file when exporting? (I mean author and title of PDF).

Hi soundcard22, you can add author & title in the Fields Panel, if you have not used this before it is accessible from View Studio, then tick the Fields option

• Staff

Hi @soundcard22,

1 hour ago, soundcard22 said:

these files are usually made up of text, imported SVG and PDF files.

There are no images, the file will be then shared both digitally and printed (at home).

I usually opt for the first preset, "PDF (for print)".

Is it ok?

There's no right or wrong answers in terms of export settings in your case, as the PDF file isn't being professionally printed or requiring specific export settings (such as colour profiles, transparency support) then I would agree that PDF (for print) or PDF (for export) are likely the best presets for you to use :)

You can find out more regarding the Fields Studio, mentioned above, here - 

https://affinity.help/publisher/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Panels/fieldsPanel.html?title=Fields panel

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thank you very much both,

I have just two other small questions:

- If I modify a PDF export preset (for example I change the setting for the compression) will it revert to defaults when I create a new project?

- I have opened an Indesign file (IDML format), that's all ok, but the page margins are of the Indesign color (purple) and not of the Affinity Publisher color (black), is it ok and normal?

Thank you.

• Staff

No problem at all!

On 7/15/2022 at 8:06 PM, soundcard22 said:

- If I modify a PDF export preset (for example I change the setting for the compression) will it revert to defaults when I create a new project?

By default, when exporting the next file, the same PDF export settings will be used as your last file - so if you have adjusted the defaults for a preset, this will be remembered, but the preset itself will not be changed.

For example, if you export FileA to PDF (for export), but change the JPEG compression to 30%, then open and export FileB, the JPEG compression will be 'remembered' at 30% - however if you reselect the PDF (for export) preset, the JPEG compression value will return to this presets default value, 85%.

On 7/15/2022 at 8:06 PM, soundcard22 said:

- I have opened an Indesign file (IDML format), that's all ok, but the page margins are of the Indesign color (purple) and not of the Affinity Publisher color (black), is it ok and normal?

Absolutely, you can change the margins colour on a per-document basis in Affinity Publisher, so we will retain the colour used in InDesign.

If you want to change the margins colours, you can do this through File > Spread Setup > Margins.

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!