You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Merging Layers Adds Pixels

Hi,

I've noticed that when I merge 2 or more layers, a clear "outline" a few pixels wide is added to the newly created object/layer.

1.  Using the lasso tool, I make a selection from one layer (original photo/background usually), and I paste the selection into a new, blank layer.

2.  I repeat step one.

3.  I merge the 2 new layers created in steps 1 & 2.  The contents of this layer is no longer "clean" - it has a clear/empty border/outline of around 3 pixels or so added all around the merged art/object on this layer.

Not sure if this qualifies as a bug, but it's definitely a major pain, cause depending on how I use this new layer, I have to clean up the edges all over again.

I am using the latest version of Photo on the latest version of Mac OS.

Oops - there's a step 4...

4.  On your newly merged layer, if you select the negative space around your art/object with the magic wand tool (tolerance set to 99), this is when the clear/empty pixel border appears.  If I were to do the same thing to the layers before they were merged, I would get clean edges.

Attached are some screenshots of me recreating the issue.

Merge 1.png

Merge 2.png

Merge 3.png

Here are a couple other photos... the first one shows using the wand to select the empty space on a layer that has not been merged with another.1132696372_ScreenShot2022-07-14at8_47_08PM.png.9e2327cfcb2c01c1166cc0735f3ae2c1.png

The second photo shows the same thing after merging with another layer.618417773_ScreenShot2022-07-14at8_46_07PM.png.c6f9abb3a9f2a8cb6c85f729da4f0749.png

I did try to selec the color of the apparently empty/transparent pixels - the color sliders jiggle a little bit, but the dropper/swatch color does not change from whatever the previous color was.

After looking at the two photos above, it seems that the border was not added, as I thought, but it was there all along maybe.... but the edge of the selection has changed. 

But this brings up another issue - it seems that the lasso does not create a clean edge - it creates a faded edge.  If I were to cut out a shape from a layer, then copy and paste it directly back in the same place, I am left with a very thin white border between the original layer and the layer that I cut and pasted.

• Staff
1 hour ago, WeezyGee said:

Here are a couple other photos... the first one shows using the wand to select the empty space on a layer that has not been merged with another.1132696372_ScreenShot2022-07-14at8_47_08PM.png.9e2327cfcb2c01c1166cc0735f3ae2c1.png

The second photo shows the same thing after merging with another layer.618417773_ScreenShot2022-07-14at8_46_07PM.png.c6f9abb3a9f2a8cb6c85f729da4f0749.png

I did try to selec the color of the apparently empty/transparent pixels - the color sliders jiggle a little bit, but the dropper/swatch color does not change from whatever the previous color was.

I can see fairly clearly here that those aren't empty pixels, just very low opacity. when you stack more and more layers of partially transparent pixels over each other they become more opaque. I think this is what you are noticing.

Lee

Hmmm... after shutting down my computer and restarting again today, this border problem is no longer happening.  I guess it must be a setting?  But I can't figure out what it could be. 

I could have sworn that I quit Photo yesterday, restarted it, and problem kept happening.  Today, after restarting the computer, it's not happening.