You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can’t seem to change background colours

Hi there , I have a piece done in black and white . White canvas and art done in black .

all I want to do is switch it so my background is black and my drawing is in white .

not sure why I can not figure this out but would love some insight .

thanks in advance 

If this document has a single layer pixel & you have AP, try selecting the layer & using Invert from the Layer menu.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I can not seem to achieve the desired look. It’s still way off. I got excited with that idea . 

maybe I could email the working file and someone could take a quick look? 

this has been racking my brain for many hours .

Edited by LeeThorpe
removed email address.

• Staff

Feel free to upload the document here:  https://www.dropbox.com/request/fWkKpuMIRilA3ExNEyWi  so I can take a look.

Lee

6 minutes ago, TCT said:

I can not seem to achieve the desired look. It’s still way off. I got excited with that idea . 

maybe I could email the working file and someone could take a quick look? 

this has been racking my brain for many hours .

anthony.d.medwid@gmail.com

As far as I understand, you have loaded a pixel image and want to get rid of its opaque white background to get only the black strokes, right?

In that case it is at first important that you have set the background to transparent (menu File > Document Settings > Colour > "Transparent Background"). Then you can click on the layer and then on the small gear symbol on the top right of the Layers panel. It will open the Mixing Modes. Drag the right node of the left curve in this panel to the bottom. This should turn all white into transparancy.

Sorry, complete bullshit.

50 minutes ago, TCT said:

I only have Affinity Designer. 

Use the Pixel Persona, Adjustments - Invert. (If the white is a bit "muddy", try using a Levels adjustment first, to get a solid black on a pure while background.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 hour ago, N.P.M. said:

N.P.M.

59 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

N.P.M.

38 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

N.P.M.

Huh? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, TCT said:

anthony.*.******@gmail.com

Unless you’re fond of spam it’s not a good idea to post your email address in plain text on a public forum.

Alfred spacer.png

7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Huh? :/

Seems that he/her edited his/her posts and deleted everything but his/her signature. Don't know why.

By the way, it seems to be the same with all his/her posts, even in other threads. Hope that those will not be used as door openers for SPAM, like I saw it in other forums.

On a side note, I’m not at all sure what the phrase ‘Be Until I Learn Differently’ is intended to convey. Be what? As it stands, it doesn’t read like proper English.

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, iconoclast said:

Seems that he/her edited his/her posts and deleted everything but his/her signature. Don't know why.

On further investigation, @N.P.M. is Hens, a member who has made hundreds of useful and interesting contributions to topics raised in these forums. He seems to be making a rather disruptive exit, which is a great shame.

Alfred spacer.png

14 hours ago, iconoclast said:

New try. Create a white rectangle as background layer. Place it at the bottom of the layer stack. Place an "Invert" Adjustment Layer on top of the layer stack.

unfortunately this did not work.

13 hours ago, PaulEC said:

Use the Pixel Persona, Adjustments - Invert. (If the white is a bit "muddy", try using a Levels adjustment first, to get a solid black on a pure while background.)

this did not work out for me .

New try. Create a white rectangle as background layer. Place it at the bottom of the layer stack. Place an "Invert" Adjustment Layer on top of the layer stack.

oh man this worked!! lmao thanks so much. i didnt realize i had the top layer grouped . 

So this worked but the pdf export saves as a rasterized file and not a vector.

Screenshot (37).png

16 hours ago, iconoclast said:

Not sure why it was coming out rasterized but the problem has corrected itself and the invert solution you have suggested worked 100%. Thank you so much 

I think it probably comes out rasterized because the brushes you used were pixel based. Even they are called "Vector Brushes", they are only pixel textures aligned to vectors.

And, I'm not sure about it, but possibly also Adjustment Layers cause Rasterization.

19 hours ago, N.P.M. said:

Hahahaha, think 3k but, alas.

N.P.M. ==  Non Participating Member.

“Non-participating” should simply mean that you don’t participate! If you really don’t want to participate any longer, why not leave without undoing the good work that you once did? :/

Alfred spacer.png

5 hours ago, TCT said:

Not sure why it was coming out rasterized

29 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

And, I'm not sure about it, but possibly also Adjustment Layers cause Rasterization.

I believe that using any Adjustment Layer will always rasterise the layers it is applied to.
Therefore, putting an Invert Adjustment at the top of the layer stack will rasterise everything on the page/artboard.

8 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I believe that using any Adjustment Layer will always rasterise the layers it is applied to.
Therefore, putting an Invert Adjustment at the top of the layer stack will rasterise everything on the page/artboard.

That's what I was afraid of. But I think it doesn't matter in this case, because the strokes are rasterized anyway. But in other cases it could be important. If there are true vector strokes below the Adustment Layer(s), they will be rasterized too. Or would the vectors on top be rasterized too?

13 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

Not that I have to explain myself to you but here it goes;

Cause:

Some specials here on the fora.
That make remarks about vocabulary, nagging down subjects, repeating answers made by others for their own glory , even being to personal on some occasions.

I wanted to be helpful and provide answers and/or solutions where ever I could but this doesn't seem to be possible anymore.
Maybe it's due to the lack of new features/updates to discuss and the forum subjects being stale but none the less apparent.

This all shouldn't matter as these  "specials" are in every basket but it sure does mean that people searching for answers are the victim of this.

The option to ignore users is great for the spammers and such but doesn't work when not logged in and certainly doesn't work on the specials that are posting in every other thread making it impossible to follow a subject altogether, there's simply no way to ignore the specials.

I must admit that I too made some wise ass remarks and can come of a bit heated in a discussion here or there.
I did as some suggested to take a break from the fora for a while.
It didn't seem to have changed much ,if at all.
Perhaps they also should take the time to reflect on themselves.

Effect:

Me not participating with those specials anymore at the loss of those that aren't.
I still will login to view or download a casus here and there.
But that's it for now.

N.P.M. (aka Hens aka Move Along People aka haakoo )

I have the impression that I may be the reason for your anger. It's an overreaction, if you ask me. I simply saw this thread and that it didn't seemed to be solved at that moment. I only skimmed the posts and then answered to it - a bit in a hurry, I confess. A little after that, I saw your solution and made my annotation that my solution was redundant. I'm sorry for that, but such things happen in open forums. I experienced much worse things in other forums, believe me. You shouldn't take it too serious.