You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Missing elements from illustration when printing or exporting to PDF.

tom d

I am reporting a bug in affinity designer ( I created the file using Designer, but it has the same problem in Photo and Publisher).

I am using an iMac with the latest Monterey OS. iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017). 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

Missing elements when printing and exporting to pdf. This happens reliably all the time with and without hardware acceleration.

There's a screengrab of the print panel with the preview showing the missing elements, and a pdf as exported.Isettacity.pdf

I rasterised unsupported properties to the document dpi.

1407729110_AfDesiignerprintproblem.thumb.jpg.fe415c2d7c57848c332e84a913685d79.jpg

• Staff

Hi @tom d,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

From the screenshot provided, I can see that there appears to be a transparency issues in your file, though I'm not 100% certain for the cause of this currently.

Can you please confirm for me, are you generating this PDF through the Print dialog, or are you using File > Export in Affinity? If using File > Export, what PDF export settings are set?

Are you able to attach a copy of the .afdesign file before being printed/exported here? If you'd like a private upload link for this, please let me know :)

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thank you for confirming that and for your screenshot provided!

10 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Are you able to attach a copy of the .afdesign file before being printed/exported here? If you'd like a private upload link for this, please let me know :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Many thanks for that, I've been able to resolve this issue after rasterising a few of your layers with FX applied - which would be rasterised upon export, however it appears as though they are being layered incorrectly when this process occurs during printing/exporting.

The layers I have rasterised are the following - 

image.png

Now, when exporting your document using your PDF settings, the file matches the document in Publisher -

Isettacity_f.afpubIsettacity_f.pdf 

I am logging this as a bug with our developers now, as this layer ordering issue certainly shouldn't occur when exporting/printing.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

Many thanks!