You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Deleted Artboard does not reduce file size

I am working on a single AD project with currently 7 artboards with sketches of forms and curves (linked as symbols). Its file size is reported in macOS Finder as “939 KB”.

Now I am adding an 8th artboard with a similar sketch and use a 1200px x 1200px png image to add as “bitmap” fill of the individual curves (about a dozen objects). This increases the file size to “40.9 MB”.

Even after deleting the 8th artboard and saving the file (and closing AD) the file size stays at the humungus value.

Is there a way – other than pulling from backup – to purge the AD file of the intermediate stuff completely?

Do you have any Snapshots in the document?
Do you have Save History With Document (in the File menu) set to ON?

Without being able to look at the document itself it’s difficult to give detailed/specific help.
Would you be able to share the document in public?

• Staff

Hi Andreas,

Out of interest if you copy all of the layer data in your file then paste it into a new document ( or do File > new from clipboard) then do File > Save As what is the file size?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Sorry for the delay, I was afk.

@GarryP: The AD document does not contain snapshots nor do I save the history with it. Unfortunately, I can neither share the original AD document nor the bitmap file (which is, in fact, a jpeg file, not png).

However, I can almost reproduce the effect with the simplified outline file circles.afdesign (518 KB) and the jpeg file wall.jpg (487 KB). When I place wall.jpg on each of the circles as a bitmap filling, the AD file becomes more than 50 MB in size. Undoing the overlays (cmd+z) restores the original file size (half a MB). Deleting the overlayed objects and recreating the non-overlayed circles and saving as a new file results in a file size of 5.1 MB.

@Callum: Copy/pasting the 7 artboards into a new file results in an almost restored file size of 988 KB, so it seems to be purged of the overlay information. Thanks for the hint.

wall.jpg

circles.afdesign