You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The Color Studio and Stroke Studio NEED to combine.

I madly believe this. The color studio and stroke studio need to combine. They need to combine. I don’t know how but they REALLY do need to combine. Its not a debate. They need to combine. 

Before I go into any further details, the main issue for this reason of these 2 studios combing is because multiple studios can NOT be opened at the same time in the app. Only 1 studio is allowed to be opened. Its this rule in the app where only 1 studio can open at a time due to the iPad having less screen real estate and not being able to have every studio open. Thats the real main issue here. Please let me explain.

An object. We work with objects. You create it and then you can change 2 things about it. The fill of that object or the stroke of that object. This object that you created has 2 properties. A fill and a stroke property. Remember that. 

Whats happening in the app is my properties are being divided into 2 studios by the serif team, the color studio and the stroke studio. You can only open 1 studio at a time in the app. You can only edit 1 property of your object at a time. It shouldn’t be like this. It shouldn’t be like this because its limiting. Its slow. Its too much toggling back and forth between these 2 studios and its slowing my workflow down. Its making me do extra taps when it could be less taps in 1 studio.  

This workflow of having 2 studios is splitting my brain up into 2 sides. 2 work flows. What do I mean by this? If I have an object, my brain splits that object into 2 studios. My brain is saying “ok. If I want to edit the color of this object I have to go to the color studio. If I want to edit the stroke I have to go to the stroke studio.” It shouldn’t be like that. I should look at my object as a whole and say “ok. I have my object selected. Now I can edit the color and stroke in this one studio that holds my color and stroke properties. I don’t have to do any toggling. All my object’s properties are here in this 1 studio.” So everything is being changed inside this 1 studio that has combined the color and stroke studio.

On the desktop version of AD its a different workflow. Theres more screen Real estate there so you’re able to have all your studios open. Theres no limit to just having 1 studio open. Everything is wide open. Everything is there. There are no rules. Its this whole studio of several studios in it. The screen is a studio and you have all these studios open inside your studio. You can have layers, fx, color, stroke, and other studios all open at the same time. Its awesome because you’re not limited to 1 studio being open like in the app. You’re free. You can have any studio open. So when you have the color and stroke studio open on the desktop version you pretty much have these 2 studios combined into 1 studio because you can freely have them open. If you need to change the color you go to the color studio. If you need to change the stroke you go to the stroke studio. Theres no toggling or opening up these studios. They’re already open and you can go into them with no issue.

On the app, you can’t have that. You can’t have them both open. You can only open 1 studio at a time and its so annoying. I have no issues with the other studios. My issue is specifically with the stroke and color studio because these 2 studios are IMPORTANT. They relate to my objects and I need to have them both open at the same time so I can make my changes to my object. I can’t be toggling between them. They need to be combined. They need to work together. I need to be able to click my object and change its stroke and color easily. No toggling. No opening 2 studios. Just going into this 1 studio and changing everything there. I can do that on the desktop version with ease but not the iPad app because the iPad app forces me to open up the color and stroke studio individually and its all this toggling and closing. Its really slowing down my workflow. Its limiting. I should be able to click my object, tap 1 studio, and have my color and stroke studio inside this studio. I don’t know what to call this studio. I was thinking the Properties Studio, a studio that has the color and stroke studio combined inside of it where you can change your objects properties with ease and not toggle between 2 studio. Its all done inside this 1 studio. 

Heres why I bring this issue up. Lets say you want to change the color of your STROKE. Ok. So If Im working with my STROKE then I need to go to the STROKE studio and change it there. Nope! You have to go to the color studio to change your STROKE color there. Ok. Now lets lower the opacity of your STROKE. Ok. Let me go to my STROKE studio to change the opacity of my STROKE there. Nope! You have to go to the color studio to do that. …….Ok. You finished changing your color and opacity for your stroke. Now I want to change its width. Is it in the color studio? Nope! I have to go to the stroke studio and change it there. Its like why? Why are my properties divided? Why am I toggling between these 2 studios. Why are my stroke related properties in the color studio? Why aren’t they in the stroke studio? Why are you diving my properties, serif? This is why they need to combine. Its all this toggling. Properties are every where. Users are being forced to work like this. Its not ok. Its not.

The color studio and stroke studio REALLY need to combine.  They need to combine. Users should be able to click their object and change anything fill or stroke related to that object inside this 1 studio that has combined the color and stroke studio. The serif team needs to break this rule of having only 1 studio open at a time in the app SPECIFICALLY AND ONLY for these 2 studios. Like, the whole serif team needs to all raise their hand up in the air and say, "We, the serif team, break this limiting ipad app rule of studios being open 1 at a time by combing the color and stroke studio so that users have a better workflow." They slam their hands on the desk and the rule has been broken for users. An override is need for this rule, for the color and stroke studio. The color and stroke studio need to combine. 

You know what else? For some reason the color studio and the stroke studio are specifically grouped together and are divided from the other studios. Its almost as if they work together. Like they should combine. You can not separate these 2 properties. They correlate to each other. They work together to make up an object. This is not a computer. This is an ipad we're working on. They need to be combined.

Also, you know how you can 1 finger gesture over the icons of the studios? Like, if you 1 finger gesture over the color studio you can change the shade range of your color. or if you 1 finger gesture over the stroke studio you can change the width of the stroke? Okay. Since youll be combing these studios that 1 finger gesture wont be available since it will now be 1 studio with a different icon. Dont worry about this 1 finger gesture feature. Its a cute feature. It would just be better to trade in this feature for a better workflow for users. Maybe you can even keep this feature by putting it some where inside the newly design combined studio? 

I will upload some images to show what I mean below.

Below is an image of the desktop version of AD. I created a square with a blue fill and a red stroke. To the right of it are several studios. You can have any studio open in the desktop version of AD. To the right I have the color and stroke studio. Notice how theyre freely open on the screen and if you wanted to change your fill or stroke you could easily do so by going to that studio. No toggling between studios. No needing to open a studio. Properties are not separated. Both studios are there for you to change the fill or stroke. 

Desktop.png

Below is an image of the ipad app vectornator. I created a square with a blue fill and a red stroke in the app. Notice how to the right of the square they have their own "studio" called "style." There you can change to square's fill or stroke. Theres no toggling to a different studio. Theres no opening a different studio. Properties are not divided into 2 studios. Everything relating to that square is here in this 1 studio called "style" in their app. 

vectornator.PNG

In the ipad app of AD you have the color studio. I created a square with a blue fill and red stroke. But what if I wanted to change the stroke  width of my square. Now i have to go to the stroke studio to change that. Its not all in 1 studio. My properties are divided and its making me do extra steps just to get to something so basic. I dont want to go to the stroke studio to change that. I wish the stroke width was here in my color studio so I can change it and not do extra steps of slowing down my workflow. I dont want to toggle between studios because I have my object selected and I want to change everything fill and stroke related in 1 studio. Just how i can in vectornator and AD for the desktop. 

color.PNG

Here I am now in the stroke studio. I have my blue fill and red stroke square. I can finally change my stroke width because Im in my stroke studio. Ok. But now i want to change my strokes color, maybe its fill color, and lower the opacity of my stroke. Well, I cant do that. I have to toggle to the color studio. Its all this toggling. My properties are divided. I dont want to enter the color studio. I need my color studio and stroke studio combined because they share properties of my square, my object. This why I need the color studio and stroke studio to combine because all this toggling would save me time, speed up my workflow by a bit, and it would just make building my illustration easier. 

Users can not be doing all this toggling between these 2 studios. Serif should not be diving object properties into 2 studios. Users should be able to select their object and have 1 studio that has their color and stroke properties in it. Its simple. Just how vectornator does it. Just how AD for the desktop version does it. 

stroke.PNG

Heres a video of a serif employe explaining vector brushes. At the 0:48 mark she wanted to change her strokes color. So she has this impression that ok, I want to change my strokes color so let me go to my stroke studio. Why? Because her stroke has a color and anything stroke related is done in the stroke studio. So when she goes to the stroke studio to change her strokes color she realizes that the color to her stroke isnt there. So she has to pause and do some thinking. She realizes, oh yeah, the serif team likes to divide my objects properties so now im forced to go to the color studio to change my color. It slowed her down. She had to toggle into another studio. She had to do an extra step/tap. Why cant it all just be in 1 studio? It also doesnt help that the stroke studio icon is in the color of her stroke. It was purple. So by making the stroke studio icon the color of her stroke, purple, it confused her because it made her think her "color" of her stroke was in the stroke studio. It wasnt. Its in another studio.

Sigh. This just shouldnt be happening. The color studio and the stroke studio truly need to combine. The irony is at the 0:48 mark she says " I can also change......the color......really easily." No. It wasnt easy. It forced her to stop, do some thinking, realize that color isnt in the stroke studio (even though her stroke studio icon changes color), slow down, do some thinking, and then realize changing her stroke color is in her color studio, not her stroke studio. Her objects properties are divided because of this ipad app rule where only 1 studio can be open at a time. Please combine the color and stroke studio for better workflow.  

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/tutorials/designer/ipad/video/272750449/

Notice how in my previous comment I put those pause dots ("......") between the serif employees words "I can also change............the color............really easily." These pause dots "..........." show how her workflow is being slowed down and stopped. Her workflow was interrupted because her objects properties are being divided into 2 studios and having this rule where only 1 studio can be opened at a time. She had to slow down. She had to do some thinking. She was interrupted. She had to toggle into another studio. 

There has to be an acception, an override, an accommodation, to combining these 2 specific and only studios because of the program being an ipad device, because of the small screen real estate the ipad has, and because of studios being opened 1 at a time in the app. Combine the studios.