You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

If I print some text in my Affinity Publisher document using Artistic Text Tool, like the example attached, is there a way using - for instance - Adjustments that I can invert the image so that the black becomes white and the white becomes black(or any other colour)?

What I want to achieve is having the same word in the same font on top of each other as Artistic Text and achieve a 2 colour font.  

I want it to remain a font because I will need to update it regularly using data.

307211520_newfontstickers.png.d24f9cf7327c98904c81684497d3ad5a.png
philcol.png.fd060b78e8b03f36c000d82baab1239b.png

Any suggestions appreciated,

Thanks

Allan

• Staff

Hi @Algernon47,

One option would be to duplicate your text layer, then under Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Invert you can add an invert adjustment, nested to one of the text layers.

Another option is the Recolour Adjustment in the same menu, if you wish to set a specific colour to your duplicated text layer.

However do note that the white areas of your text are likely to have 'no fill', displaying any colours beneath them, rather than being filled white. This means that when inverting this area is not affected, as there is no fill to invert.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

33 minutes ago, Dan C said:

duplicate your text layer, then under Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Invert you can add an invert adjustment,

It works like a charm in an RGB document …

959889561_invertadjustmRGB.jpg.60ec965847f2d2c1dc64d172c54cd141.jpg

… Any idea why the Invert Adjustment does not affect Black text & causes nearly Black for everything if applied in a CMYK document?

941094165_invertadjustmCMYK.thumb.jpg.3cee7cb6171c646a9878dec77635feca.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff
7 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Any idea why the Invert Adjustment does not affect Black text & causes nearly Black for everything if applied in a CMYK document?

Unfortunately not, this appears to be a bug as far as I can see, as I cannot explain the reason for this - therefore I'm getting this logged with our devs now, good catch thomaso :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Thanks guys, I think I've started to understand the issues but didn't ask my question well.

phillipa.png.be85e013517019393c6dc18669321765.png

So I want the red inside Phillipa to show through, and red outside Phillipa to not show through.

Is there some kind of masking I could apply to one of those Phillipas to make that happen?

I know before when I look at this I ended up getting the font edited so I had two version on top of each other.

It would be quite nifty to be able to do this with any fonts.

Thanks

Allan

32 minutes ago, Algernon47 said:

Is there some kind of masking I could apply to one of those Phillipas to make that happen?

Masking would be a possible way but might result in a pixel layer for these areas because APhoto's Flood Select Tool gets used.

Another option, and maintaining vector, is to Convert the text to Curves and use the Geometry options (> Separate Curves) to get curves which represent the desired shapes for assigning the fill colour. As @Dan C mentioned, white areas of your text are likely to have 'no fill', means this areas are transparent like the areas around the characters.

My guess is that this font's "fill" is just the black outline/shadows. So it's impossible to assign any colour to the white areas (because they are actually transparent) unless you place some matching shapes underneath the text with the desired fill colour.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

• Staff
2 hours ago, thomaso said:

Any idea why the Invert Adjustment does not affect Black text & causes nearly Black for everything if applied in a CMYK document?

I've been informed this is working By Design - assuming your black text in the CMYK document is 0,0,0,100 - the invert adjustment will flip this to 100,100,100,0.

This colour can appear rather differently, depending on your colour profile in use. Some will appear grey, green, purple, and in your case a dark blue.

Again, I'm not sure of the exact values for the Orange cog, but assuming they are 0,50,100,0 - the inverse of this would be 100,50,0,100 which is near to black.

I hope this clears things up :)

On 7/12/2022 at 4:26 PM, Dan C said:

I've been informed this is working By Design - assuming your black text in the CMYK document is 0,0,0,100 - the invert adjustment will flip this to 100,100,100,0.

Thank you for this feedback & info!

This makes we wonder whether there is or will become an option for UCR versus GCR within Affinity?

In the sample below I can simulate kind of colour inversion in a CMYK document with the hue setting of an HSL adjustment. But it still appears strange that the Black-White gradient done with LAB luminosity only gets inverted with a quite different result: Gray instead of White and brownish instead of neutral:

730588366_invertvariationsincmykdoc.thumb.jpg.3c45bd6af79e0c3db6acf448989d77ca.jpg

• Staff

No problem at all :)

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

This makes we wonder whether there is or will become an option for UCR versus GCR within Affinity?

As far as I'm aware, this isn't an option currently but one our developers are interested in adding in the future!

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

In the sample below I can simulate kind of colour inversion in a CMYK document with the hue setting of an HSL adjustment. But it still appears strange that the Black-White gradient done with LAB luminosity only gets inverted with a quite different result: Gray instead of White and brownish instead of neutral:

I believe the LAB issue you're seeing is similar to the bug raised here -

So I'll be sure to update the development log regarding this now. I hope this clears things up!

On 7/12/2022 at 1:09 PM, thomaso said:

… Any idea why the Invert Adjustment does not affect Black text & causes nearly Black for everything if applied in a CMYK document?

On 7/12/2022 at 3:26 PM, Dan C said:

Interesting.

I also thought there was a problem with the Invert adjustment. Probably because Im so used to working and thinking in terms of RGB.

---###---

In RGB, if you invert black, you get white. Inverting red you get cyan and so on.
If you are in CMYK and want to invert the colors expecting a result closer to what you would get in RGB, rather than an invert adjustment, try a curves adjustment.

Change CMYK to RGB and invert the Master channel.

curvesxyz.jpg.bcc31f71279510d6d864512e04fb0018.jpg

What difference can we expect using Invert versus curves?

orinv.jpg.761712e073137d7e2074fd08401bce72.jpg

• Staff
On 7/15/2022 at 4:03 PM, Lisbon said:

What difference can we expect using Invert versus curves?

I was under the impression that using a Curves Adjustment set to RGB, in a CMYK document, would convert any colours affected by this curves adjustment to RGB, and then display the results by translating them to the CMYK colour space - however this doesn't appear to be exactly the case in my testing, using a similar document setup as above -

image.png

If this were the case, I would expect the 'Curves' group to appear similar to the below (these are the rasterised results from an RGB document, pasted into a CMYK document) -

image.png

Therefore I'm logging this for further investigation/clarification, as I'm not 100% certain of what's happening 'behind the scenes' in this scenario.

I'll be sure to update you here with any information I'm provided :)

3 hours ago, Dan C said:

I was under the impression that using a Curves Adjustment set to RGB, in a CMYK document, would convert any colours affected by this curves adjustment to RGB, and then display the results by translating them to the CMYK colour space

Isn't that what happened?

First color is Red (CMYK: 0 100 100 0). We are in CMYK but in RGB, the oposite of Red is Cyan (CMYK: 100 0 0 0).
Next is Yellow (0 0 100 0). Oposite is Blue (100 100 0 0)
And so on.

4 hours ago, Dan C said:

I'll be sure to update you here with any information I'm provided :)

Thanks Dan.