You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Olaf,

I don't quite understand your question I'm afraid could you please give me a bit more information so I can make sure you get the best help possible :)

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• Staff

Hi Olaf Rubens,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There's no easy way to solve this in Designer yet. If you were working only with fills, i would say to change the Layer ▸ Fill Mode to Winding (Non Zero), but it will not work for strokes.

So what i suggest is to duplicate the object, delete all nodes of the duplicate around the overlapping areas keeping just a section covering the "hole" (the yellow area in my example below), then perform an add boolean operation between the original and the duplicate.

post-59-0-94624000-1451390663_thumb.jpg

Hi Olaf Rubens,

There's no easy way to solve this in Designer yet. If you were working only with fills, i would say to change the Layer ▸ Fill Mode to Winding (Non Zero), but it will not work for strokes.

So what i suggest is to duplicate the object, delete all nodes of the duplicate around the overlapping areas keeping just a section covering the "hole" (the yellow area in my example below), then perform an add boolean operation between the original and the duplicate.

attachicon.gifshape.jpg

Hi thanks!

This will do the trick for now, and for the lines I can duplicate and move to back.

I hope you guys do a "unite pathfinder" that's a lifesaver :-)

Hi Olaf Rubens,

attachicon.gifshape.jpg

and on the same letter, what's the fastest way to remove/cut a line between nodes?

thanks.

post-24555-0-57156500-1451469647_thumb.png

and on the same letter, what's the fastest way to remove/cut a line between nodes?

thanks.

Well, a knife tool is on the Affinity Designer feature roadmap for a long time.  :(

The Break Curve Action or a second software are no optimal solutions.

The Vector Eraser still is only on the Common Feature Requests INDEX.  :(

BTW: MattP posted (14 November 2014):

It's fair to say that there will be a vector eraser in the future - all the code is already there except for just one tiny little bit that you wouldn't even think was that important - and it's that one little bit that changes the whole thing from being 'just another' implementation to a proper implementation - so until I can get that working (i.e. after I've delivered everything else I've promised, hehe) then it has to sit in my list - but at least it's there!
:(  :(  :(

• Staff

Hi Olaf Rubens,

Select the Node Tool, click on one of the nodes, go to the context toolbar and press the Break Curve button (you can assign a custom shortcut to this action in the Preferences). Do the same for the other node. Now you can select just the segment and delete it.

Hi Olaf Rubens,

Select the Node Tool, click on one of the nodes, go to the context toolbar and press the Break Curve button (you can assign a custom shortcut to this action in the Preferences). Do the same for the other node. Now you can select just the segment and delete it.

thank you :-)

• 4 years later...

After five years this is still unsolved. The pathfinder is something that will never be fixed, basically for me this is a very common tool to use with designing stuff.

Doing a simple handwritten text, for vinyl sticker on a front door... like old day in Illustrator. Where everything just works. 

On 1. Februar 2020 at 5:51 PM, JCD2016 said:

never be fixed

Seems that Expand Stroke is advancing after all the years and seems that will be the basis for the other expected functions like a pathfinder.

Hope ultimately dies after the customers.

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, mangoes said:

Is there really no pathfinder tool? I just purchased the software and can't find it

Watch tutorials on the geometry tools and the Affinity Shapebuilder tool

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help