You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Join curves with the move tool active

Often times, I find myself wanting to join curves when I have the move tool active. I select a the curves I want to join and, when it didn't join them, I come to realise I need to switch to the node tool, hit the hotkey and switch back to the move tool.

The workflow would be a lot cleaner if you could also join curves from within the move tool.

Can you explain what you mean by “join curves” when using the Move Tool?
I don’t understand the workflow you are using, e.g. “select a the curves I want to join and, when it didn’t join them”.

What do you mean by “join”?
What do you mean by “it” in “it didn’t join them”?
How would you expect this “join” to work?
What sort of curves would expect to be able to be “joined”?
In what way would you expect “joining” to happen?
How can the software know when you want to “join” curves as opposed to not “joining” them?

Some visual example mock-ups would help to show us what you mean.

When I have two curves and I want to merge them down to one, they sometimes don't, because i have the move tool active as opposed to the node tool. The node tool has a shortcut associated to join curves, the move tool does not.

image.png.7b2a4f22d811c2bb4b2c8bfab04b0fbe.png

image.png.31efa89796ea9ce64ef1f600ce463c34.png

There isn't any workflow associated, it's just this plain simple hotkey thing that I think should also be used in the move tool.

image.png.6e104fe22fe6c4f919cd60cc693208aa.png

I’m still a bit confused.
What type(s) of layers do you have selected and how many of them are selected?
You are talking about “merging” and “joining” and I don’t know which one you mean as they are both different functionalities.
I know you have given me screen-grabs showing the Join Curves function but you also mention having two curves and wanting to “merge” them, and I can’t be sure which functionality you want.
Do you have multiple Curve layers and want to make them into a Curves layer, or do you have a Curves layer and want to perform the Join Curves functionality?

7 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I’m still a bit confused.
What type(s) of layers do you have selected and how many of them are selected?
You are talking about “merging” and “joining” and I don’t know which one you mean as they are both different functionalities.
I know you have given me screen-grabs showing the Join Curves function but you also mention having two curves and wanting to “merge” them, and I can’t be sure which functionality you want.
Do you have multiple Curve layers and want to make them into a Curves layer, or do you have a Curves layer and want to perform the Join Curves functionality?

As I understand it, it has nothing to do with how to do anything. Intuos5 just wants the Move Tool to have the same options as the Node Tool so that he doesn't have to go to the trouble of hitting a key to change tools! 🙄

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad