You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I need to display two images (jpegs) side by side so I can clone from one to the other.  "Separated mode" suggested in one of your responses doesn't seem to do this and sometimes the command is greyed out and can't be accessed anyway.  I did this with Photoshop to enhance real estate photos, landscaping enhancement. etc. Please advise.

Was having the same question. Consider structure help in a way that user can find it. I tried searching for "windows", and "open files", but could not find anything in help. That may also be a nice addition for preferences: User interface options: Open files in separate windows. or something like that. 
As always, AP has everything, it is just a question of finding it. Still very happy with it. Just a few growing aches.

AffinityPhoto | Designer | Publisher V1&2, InDesign, QuarkXPress, Zeiss ZenBlue, ZereneStacker, Heliconfocus, Aurora HDR, DxO Optics Pro, DataGraph, Wacom tablet

• 4 weeks later...

I also almost always work with multiple files side by side, whether dragging parts between windows or just matching the style of different images together. I know there is the separate windows option to do this but it is a very frustrating way to work in an image editing app.

The problem is that you lose the clean app background and it is replaced with a mess of other app windows, desktop background and random file icons. This is very distracting and to get rid of them you have to hide all other apps and clear your desktop of file icons and turn desktop background to flat grey. And still your left with the problem that every click you miss Affinity windows the whole Affinity interface disappears.

I know this is a traditional OS X way of doing this but I really really hope there would be an option in the preferences to just have all the windows open and still keep the user interface together in one window. Photoshop has this option and it´s a great way of making the UI more flexible to different user scenarios.

Is this a difficult feature to add?

The problem is that you lose the clean app background and it is replaced with a mess of other app windows, desktop background and random file icons. This is very distracting and to get rid of them you have to hide all other apps and clear your desktop of file icons and turn desktop background to flat grey. And still your left with the problem that every click you miss Affinity windows the whole Affinity interface disappears.

Not a perfect workaround by any means, but have you tried using the "Spaces" feature of OS X to create a second Desktop & put Affinity only into the second one in separated mode? You can even assign the second Desktop a different background color, like a flat grey one, to reduce the visual clutter.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi vovov,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

That's a good point and suggestion. I would post it in the Feature Requests section so it doesn't get lost here in the middle of the thread.

Thanks! I will do that. You propably have tons of features under development but hopefully it will get noticed.

Not a perfect workaround by any means, but have you tried using the "Spaces" feature of OS X to create a second Desktop & put Affinity only into the second one in separated mode? You can even assign the second Desktop a different background color, like a flat grey one, to reduce the visual clutter.

Thats a clever workaround, thanks! So far my workaround has been to use separated mode and drag one of the windows large enough to cover the desktop and work as kind of a background over the desktop. That eliminates the missed clicks problem at the same time. But as you say, both are less then perfect ways.

Maybe a user editable tab bar would be the perfect one? So that you could pull windows off of it and put windows back into it. That way you could always manage your open files easily. Well see what they come up with... :)

I like your editable tab bar idea very much. Not only would it solve this problem, it also would work the same way as the Studio panel tabs, giving users one less new thing to learn how to use.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7