You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using Gradient Mask is giving problems with background and adjustment layer ?

12 minutes ago, augustya said:

So even after nesting the adjustment layer to the Rasterized layer the adjustment is still being applied to the entire image ? 

The adjustment will only be applied to what its nested in.

14 minutes ago, augustya said:

So what is the best way to apply the adjustment effect only to a certain part of the image invert it and paint over it. I was told some days back gradient layer can help in such a situation. So is that not required here ?

You can do it either way. Start out with the full adjustment and paint OUT the effect. Or start with the invert and paint IN the effect.

15 minutes ago, augustya said:

How to individually apply gradient mask to individual adjustment layers ?

Paint on it directly. Or nest a mask.

1 minute ago, JimmyJack said:

The adjustment will only be applied to what its nested in.

You can do it either way. Start out with the full adjustment and paint OUT the effect. Or start with the invert and paint IN the effect.

Paint on it directly. Or nest a mask.

But that's what I am asking, earlier when I nested the Mask, after doing that procedure how do I find out that the effect of The adjustment layer is only being applied to one side and which side is that ? how do I verify that and check that?

1 hour ago, augustya said:

But that's what I am asking, earlier when I nested the Mask, after doing that procedure how do I find out that the effect of The adjustment layer is only being applied to one side and which side is that ? how do I verify that and check that?

🤔 Turn it off and on?

Without an example I'm afraid I'm out.

(It's working)
ezgif-5-84d5ff18df.gif.38c9a8bf46d8be03f901c77591b36f09.gif

8 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

🤔 Turn it off and on?

Without an example I'm afraid I'm out.

(It's working)
ezgif-5-84d5ff18df.gif.38c9a8bf46d8be03f901c77591b36f09.gif

My question is, when we Nested the Adjustment Layer to the Rasterized Layer I did not specify which area the adjustment has to be applied so how does it decide where the adjustment has to be applied ? Hope now I have been able to specify my question ?

4 hours ago, augustya said:

My question is, when we Nested the Adjustment Layer to the Rasterized Layer I did not specify which area the adjustment has to be applied so how does it decide where the adjustment has to be applied ? Hope now I have been able to specify my question ?

Maybe go back to basics.

1. any adjustment layer has an inherent mask. This mask controls to what area the adjustment gets applied. 
  2. Documents are organized in layers. General, adjustment layers only impact layers below.
  3. In case you nest layers to other layers, the impact of adjustments is limited to the parent layer.
  4. Same as 3. applies to groups, with one exception: blend mode pass-through. I leave the details  for another thread.

If you use layers with partial or full transparency, it gets a bit more complex, as lower levels could shine through.

If you use special blend modes like erase, it gets even more complex.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

2 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Maybe go back to basics.

1. any adjustment layer has an inherent mask. This mask controls to what area the adjustment gets applied. 
  2. Documents are organized in layers. General, adjustment layers only impact layers below.
  3. In case you nest layers to other layers, the impact of adjustments is limited to the parent layer.
  4. Same as 3. applies to groups, with one exception: blend mode pass-through. I leave the details  for another thread.

If you use layers with partial or full transparency, it gets a bit more complex, as lower levels could shine through.

If you use special blend modes like erase, it gets even more complex.

This is getting complicated now. I am always grappled with a situation where I have to only brighten or darken one side of the photo or perform both the things brighten and darken in the same photo. So what is the best way to do it ? 

Gradient Mask and Inverting the adjustment layer and painting in and out is what I hear very often but I have just come across this situation gradient mask if I apply to one adjustment layer how do I apply it to other adjustment layers that I am using  ? Also using gradient mask or Inverting the adjustment layer is all fine but that is only if I want to perform one function like either brighten or darken what if I want to do both the things i.e. brighten one side and darken the other side, then what do I do ?

This is getting complicated now. I am always grappled with a situation where I have to only brighten or darken one side of the photo or perform both the things brighten and darken in the same photo. So what is the best way to do it ? 

If you are talking about one side of the visible area, but the adjustment layer as top layer, and apply a gradient to its inherent mask.

Gradient Mask and Inverting the adjustment layer and painting in and out is what I hear very often but I have just come across this situation gradient mask if I apply to one adjustment layer how do I apply it to other adjustment layers that I am using

If you want to add multiple adjustments layers, and use the same identical mask:

1. Add the adjustment layers without any mask
  2. group those layers
  3. add and mask layer to the group of adjustments

Also using gradient mask or Inverting the adjustment layer is all fine but that is only if I want to perform one function like either brighten or darken what if I want to do both the things i.e. brighten one side and darken the other side, then what do I do ?

If you want 2 adjustment layers, the second with the inverted mask of the first:

1. add the first adjustment layer (e.g. brighten)
  2. apply the gradient to its mask
  3. Selection>Selection from mask
  4. Selection>Invert selection
  5. create second adjustment layer (e.g. do darken). It is using the inverted mask from the first adjustment

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

2 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

If you want to add multiple adjustments layers, and use the same identical mask:

1. Add the adjustment layers without any mask
  2. group those layers
  3. add and mask layer to the group of adjustments

Just adding a Normal Mask Layer would it do the Job ? Because a Mask would be for the entire image and not specific part right ? So do you mean to say Gradient Mask or a Normal Mask ?