You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

According to the manual

To open a document or photo:

1. Do one of the following:
    • From the File menu, click Open.
    • Double-click anywhere in the empty view. (Only available in Normal mode when no other documents are open.)
  2. Select the file you want and click Open.

But nothing happens except a brief moment of the 'waiting' whirligig.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong, but what?

Can you give us a step-by-step, click-by-click, key-by-key workflow telling us exactly what you are doing, and where you started from, and also tell us the file type of the document you are trying to open and where it is stored?

A video is usually useful also if you can supply one.

How to open a file in AP

AP’ originally could only mean Photo, but ever since Publisher was announced there has been potential confusion between the two. It’s a good idea to get into the habit of using an unambiguous abbreviation such as APh.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just now, Alfred said:

AP’ originally could only mean Photo, but ever since Publisher was announced there has been potential confusion between the two. It’s a good idea to get into the habit of using an unambiguous abbreviation such as APh.

Good point APh.👍

33 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Can you give us a step-by-step, click-by-click, key-by-key workflow telling us exactly what you are doing, and where you started from, and also tell us the file type of the document you are trying to open and where it is stored?

A video is usually useful also if you can supply one.

Easy enough.

In normal mode, with no file currently open, 'File>Open', double click in the empty view -  nothing happens.

Interestingly, on my laptop, this same sequence (File>Open) opens a file dialog from where I can open a file in the usual way.

I don’t understand what “double click in the empty view” means.

I think your Open File dialog may be hidden off-screen.
Did you have two screens attached to your machine at some earlier point in time?

If this could be the problem - if you are a Windows user - make sure you are the point where you have just selected “File → Open” from the menu, then press Alt+Space then the M key then any arrow key then waggle your mouse around a lot and the dialog should come back into view.

Note: Added extra clarification to say the above 'fix' is only for Windows.

Edited by GarryP
Added more details.

40 minutes ago, RichardMH said:

Mac or PC?

The OP appears to be a Mac user.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Empty View, I interpret that to mean clicking on the empty area, where the canvas or opened image would be. In Windows you can double-click on this empty space, which does the same as File>Open. Is this not possible on Macs?

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

1 hour ago, Ron P. said:

... you can double-click on this empty space, which does the same as File>Open. Is this not possible on Macs?

Double click on the blank application window calls up the Open dialog here on Mac OS 11.6.7.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Double click on the blank application window calls up the Open dialog here on Mac OS 11.6.7.

Same for me running macOS Catalina.

10 hours ago, Stolzy said:

In normal mode, with no file currently open, 'File>Open', double click in the empty view -  nothing happens.

After choosing File > Open does a Finder-like window open, even if there are no files shown in it?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

20 hours ago, Ron P. said:

Empty View, I interpret that to mean clicking on the empty area, where the canvas or opened image would be. In Windows you can double-click on this empty space, which does the same as File>Open. Is this not possible on Macs?

Evidently not - same result as 'File>Open' brief moment of the whirlygig and then nothing.

14 hours ago, R C-R said:

Same for me running macOS Catalina.

After choosing File > Open does a Finder-like window open, even if there are no files shown in it?

Nope, nothing.  A short 'waiting' whirlygig and then nothing

1 hour ago, Stolzy said:

Nope, nothing.  A short 'waiting' whirlygig and then nothing

What happens if you try File > Open in some app other than one of the Affinity ones, for example Apple's Preview app?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 7/11/2022 at 11:20 AM, Stolzy said:

I'm on Mac OS X 10.15.7

Do you, or have you ever had, 2 screens attached to your MAC?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Check them all for the File > Open screen

If you still can't see it reset all dialogues' positioning using the CTRL runup procedure

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

27 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Check them all for the File > Open screen

If you still can't see it reset all dialogues' positioning using the CTRL runup procedure

That's not the problem.  Mirror displays/Gather windows with only APh running and it's just the same.

It's not that I can't see it, it's not there.

Files dropped from finder or other apps to APh open as expected.

On 7/10/2022 at 1:59 AM, Stolzy said:

I followed this procedure to get something like what you are describing.

I used File > New then 

I double clicked on the blank space in the main window.

The main window was brought to the front, covering the still open New File Dialog. The pinwheel appeared as well. The OS and Application have their focus on the hidden (by the main window) New File Dialog. 

I have to say I cannot for the life of me figure out why I would do the double click after calling up the New File Dialog using File > New. Or why I would use File > Open and then do a double click.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

17 minutes ago, Stolzy said:

I think I've got this.  The file dialogue was opening behind the Affinity Photo Window.

So like @Old Bruce mentioned, were you first using File > New & then double-clicking on an (empty?) document window behind it?

If I do that, the double-click opens the window that allows me to choose an existing file to open (same as with File > Open); whereas just using File > New opens the New Document window with the various Preset & Template options for creating a brand new document.

For me on my Mac, if the New Document window ends up hidden behind the document window I can bring it to the front by choosing it on the Window menu.

Affinity Photo