You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layer studio freezes after exporting

After exporting a PDF from Designer, the layer studio freezes and I cannot change visibility for layers, expand layers, collapse layers or lock them. Note that I am working on a rather large file, so at times it doesn't freeze, but it becomes rather unresponsive instead (so an instant show-hide takes a second or five and it may or may not require me to click the visibility icon multiple times).

image.png.3c3a9de5765c1b01843e22947aad6ecf.png

Saving the file or re-opening the file solves the issue. As does opening the Export Settings panel and cancel.

This is in Designer 1.10.5.1342, Windows 10.19044.

• Staff
5 hours ago, Intuos5 said:

After exporting a PDF from Designer, the layer studio freezes and I cannot change visibility for layers, expand layers, collapse layers or lock them. Note that I am working on a rather large file, so at times it doesn't freeze, but it becomes rather unresponsive instead (so an instant show-hide takes a second or five and it may or may not require me to click the visibility icon multiple times).

How large is the file?

Would you be able to upload the .afdesign file for this to our Dropbox here so i can try to replicate it?

I have uploaded the file.
I am using quite a few links, so I'll embed those for uploading. All of the files in the Resource Manager were LINKED.

Also note, it doesn't occur on every export, but it does happen very frequently on my machine.
The file is 16 MB, so not as large as I thought it would be. With all links embedded the whole package is 202MB.

Hope this helps!

• Staff
18 hours ago, Intuos5 said:

I have uploaded the file.

Thank you :) 

So far i've had no problem when bring up the Export window.  I've made all of the files linked and so far, each time its been fine.  I'll keep the file open and test exporting at different parts of the day and see if i can replicate the issue.

For me the issue appears when I have (almost) completed the export. So after exporting, that's when the interface can freeze. I had it happen this morning as well (and I have opened/ closed all Affinity apps), didn't reboot my system though.

7 hours ago, Intuos5 said:

For me the issue appears when I have (almost) completed the export. ... .... didn't reboot my system though.

To me this sounds like you may not have enough disk space on your hard drive. Ii could be full of old temporary swap and log files that will go away once you reboot, AKA " Turn it off and on again" to quote Roy from The IT Crowd.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff
17 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

To me this sounds like you may not have enough disk space on your hard drive. Ii could be full of old temporary swap and log files that will go away once you reboot, AKA " Turn it off and on again" to quote Roy from The IT Crowd.

In theory the OS should always popup a message when that happens.  But also having worked in IT for well over 20 years now, i'm never surprised by what 'turning it off and on again' can solve! I just feel bad suggesting it... mainly due to the IT Crowd :) 

16 hours ago, Intuos5 said:

Maybe, but I should be having around 400 GB of empty space, I highly doubt it is all being used up tbh.

Just charging up my Windows laptop now and will try exporting a few times and see what happens.  I've tried a few times on my MacBook and had no issues.  Was a nice quick export.  I'll see what happen on Windows and report back :)