You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I paid for Affinity software I didn't get.

Hello,

I purchased Affinity Publisher on July 6, 2022, through the Microsoft store. According to the Microsoft store, it should work on my computer. I downloaded the app, installed it, and registered it. It will not work - it closes as soon as it is opened. I thought I would try to reinstall it, but there is no way to do that through Microsoft. They also have discontinued their technical support, so there is nobody to help with this. I tried to uninstall it from my computer, but it doesn't show up as even being on the computer under the Windows Programs and Features list. I came to your website and went into my account. It has no purchase history or registration for Publisher under my account. It does show a couple of little software "freebies" as having been purchased on July 6, 2022. 

I paid somebody almost $60.00 for an app that doesn't seem to exist. I would appreciate it if you could remedy this problem asap. 

PS: I emailed this note to your Purchasing dept., and have gotten no response.

Thank you,
S. Lynn Young

1 minute ago, dehaya said:

I thought I would try to reinstall it, but there is no way to do that through Microsoft. ... I tried to uninstall it from my computer, but it doesn't show up as even being on the computer under the Windows Programs and Features list.

If you installed it, it should be in the list you can see via Start > Settings, Apps, Apps & Features.

If it's not there, look in the Microsoft Store, and click on Library on the lower left. That should at least let you confirm that you purchased it. But as far as I know the only uninstall possibility is via Start > Settings.

If it's not there in the Microsoft Store, you might try signing out from the Store, launching the Store, and signing in again, making sure you use the same account you used for the purchase.

8 minutes ago, dehaya said:
I came to your website and went into my account. It has no purchase history or registration for Publisher under my account.

I paid somebody almost $60.00 for an app that doesn't seem to exist.

It would not show up as a purchase in your Affinity Store account, because you did not buy it from Serif.

You paid Microsoft, and there is nothing that Serif can do as far as I know. If you had paid Serif, they could offer you a refund, but they can't refund money that you paid to Microsoft. If you can find and try to run the program, Serif can try to help figure out why it doesn't run. (More in next post.)

You should still be able to get Support from Microsoft. Including, possibly, a refund for your purchase. The Help page for the Store links to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-store-and-billing?ocid=storeapp_helplink&pc=windows.desktop and there are options there for requesting support. There's also this one for requesting a refund: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/returning-items-you-bought-from-microsoft-store-for-exchange-or-refund-81629012-aa4f-f48b-2394-8596f415072b

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If you are able to try to start Publisher, but it crashes, please let us know what it was doing at that time and how long it's able to run.

If you're getting a crash report that may help in diagnosing what's going wrong.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I have done all of the above. The software doesn't show up as being on my computer. It does show up in the Microsoft store as having been purchased. There is a purchase #, but no way to uninstall or reinstall it. Microsoft doesn't give refunds for apps, and they no longer have any customer support by phone. They just keep running you around in endless circles on their web site. In my Affinity account, under Downloads and Product Keys, it shows an order for July 6, which is when I bought the app. There is an order number of #BOJCZNYN3L. There are Cookbook Templates, Gradient Magazine Templates and Brill Photography Portfolio Templates, that apparently are freebies with the software, but no software showing. When I installed the software, I also registered it. Doesn't Microsoft pay your company when they sell your software? Shouldn't it be registered with your company? I don't want a refund, I want the software. I want to be able to reinstall it and try to get it to work. I also want to be able to install it on another computer. At this point, all I can think of to do is buy it again through your company, and allow Microsoft to successfully steal $58.75 from me.

1 hour ago, dehaya said:

I downloaded the app, installed it, and registered it. It will not work - it closes as soon as it is opened.

Try clearing the app’s user data. Press the Ctrl key on your keyboard and keep it depressed while you launch the app, only releasing it when the ‘Clear User Data’ dialog appears. In the dialog, press ‘Select All’ and then press ‘Clear’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, dehaya said:

Doesn't Microsoft pay your company when they sell your software? Shouldn't it be registered with your company?

Just to clarify: I'm a user, like yourself (though I've been here in the forums longer).

You can identify Serif staff posts (if you're using a web browser with a big enough window) in several ways:

1. On the upper-right corner of their posts, you'll see a Moderators tag: image.png.798a4936c8f3a058cfe697d3d26f7175.png

2. On the upper-left corner of their posts, where the poster is identified, you'll see a badge symbol, a Moderators tag, and a Staff tag.
    image.png.442744afc900ca42db99132f1d68d1cf.png

You will often find users responding, even in this part of the forum, as we try to be helpful and point out potential solutions.

To answer that question: Yes, Microsoft gives Serif some money when you purchase from them. But they do not tell Serif any information about you. Their customer info is kept secure, and is not provided to any of the vendors who sell applications on the Microsoft Store. Your license to use the product is handled by Microsoft, and tied to the account you're logged in with, and Serif knows nothing about it.

However, since 1.9, when the Affinity applications added the My Account feature, you can Register your purchase with Serif. That is optional. If you choose to do it (as you mentioned) then you and Serif can see that registration info in your Affinity Store account, at https://affinity.store/account/registered-apps/

-- Walt
PC:

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC: