You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

NGC 1955: An Emission Nebula Processed with Affinity Photo and the JR Macros

russ.carpenter

I’m not sure about the best way to share astrophotography processed with Affinity Photo. I decided to try the “Share your work” forum, but if there is a better way, please let me know.

I am an experienced astrophotographer who has used a wide range of specialized programs for pre and post processing of astro photographs. These days I’ve been experimenting with my favorite general purpose image processor, Affinity Photo, along with the remarkable collection of astro macros developed by James Ritson. I have much to learn, but so far the results have been excellent.

NGC 1955 is an emission nebula located in the Large Magellanic Cloud. (Technically, NGC 1955 is an open star cluster embedded within the nebula.) To collect this data, I used a remote telescope in Chile: 20 inch Newtonian, F 3.6. The object was imaged in three narrowband channels, Ha, OIII and SII. I processed the image with the Hubble palette, which is SHO, modified with a large shift in the green channel toward reds and golds. The built-in tools of Affinity Photo, and especially the innovative JR Macros, made this project a pleasure.

NGC1955 SHO.tiff

Hi Russ

You know, to me, astrophotography is like music. I like music but I dont know how to play any instrument or sing. I just like to listen and thats enough for me.
But I think its important that you shared your work with us because it can encourage others to follow your example.
This is how communities flourish.

Cheers

I'm not an astrophotogropher, just an admirer of these images such as yours. It would help, however, if you included them as browser-readable images (such as jpg or png) in your forum messages. That would mean I can immediately admire them in the forum without having to save and open in Affinity.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

16 hours ago, russ.carpenter said:

Hi Catshill,

Superb tutorial on collimation. Good on you!

Russ

Thanks Russ. Collimation is so easy to do but so difficult to write about which was why I wrote the guide with images created in ADe. Similarly I created this to show the different reflections seen through the focus tube of a Newtonian reflector. I also use concentric circles created in ADe to highlight alignment errors.

• 3 months later...